New Battery Technology "Lithium-Sulphur"

VidThreeNorth

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
At this point, battery life is already less of an issue compared to "a few years ago", but a major improvement is always welcome. Also, it does not look like this is going to be a particularly expensive technology.

"Researchers develop lithium-sulphur battery that can power a phone for five days", Published Jan 16, 2020 by DPreview.com, by "Brittany Hillen"

"Researchers develop lithium-sulphur battery that can power a phone for five days"

Will be interesting to see how this develops and how if filters down to everyday use

Re post 4
Well if you are in the lift with others and have wind...
It’s not me it’s these new batteries I am using

The "hazard" issue is a possibility. I recall another "new" technology years ago that I think combined lithium, calcium and nickel. I think GM bought up the patent and it disappeared. This might be the battery in the Volt. I never got around to researching it, but I think that it claimed to be safer than Lithium batteries of the day. Now how they measured safety is also an issue. They might simply have meant "harder to ignite", which does not speak to the potential danger after ignition. The voltage was higher than 3.7, which might have other issues. But the overall point I'm making is that there is still a lot of development going on. Calcium in particular is a serious contender, which is important because it is plentiful worldwide.

I'm definitely wrong about something in the above comment. I just checked the Chevy Volt in Wikipedia and it identifies the battery as Li-Ion, so I don't know what happened to that battery technology.

I'm definitely wrong about something in the above comment. I just checked the Chevy Volt in Wikipedia and it identifies the battery as Li-Ion, so I don't know what happened to that battery technology.
"Catch-and-Kill" is a real concept, even outside of the realm of tabloid newspapers doing favors.

On the other hand if a megacorporation sees an emerging technology as having potential, it might well be worth their money to buy it up if that technology might result in several orders of magnitude in revenue. Companies might even buy several such ventures and attempt to develop until one wins-out.

Great, will each battery come with it's own whoopee cushion? The cushion will do the sound effect, the battery will do the rest!!! LoL
SS

Most reactions

New Topics

Back