New body or new lens. Help, I have no idea what to do.

Have you considered renting a camera to try it out? Or do you know any other photographers who would let you try theirs out? I think that once you try an upgrade, you will FEEL the difference, even more than you SEE it.

I agree with Ron's mention of the 60D as a primary body, which will work for your lenses. I'd also suggest saving up for a couple new "fast" zooms, namely, the Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 and the Sigma 50-150 f/2.8. Or, if it's more convenient, and with the 70D out now, get the lenses first, and get the body when you can.

All good advice from others. Your camera is capable of people shots. You could improve alright with a camera and many recommend the 60d because its such a bargain, but you could pick up a second t3 for small money, you then have a backup camera and you already know how to use this. If you upgraded your kit lens (and I think the canon kit lenses are nice but can be to slow for portraits) to something like a tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (also not huge money) and added a Yongnuo yn 465 (ttl flash available on ebay for 60 dollars approx). you then also can run 2 lenses on 2 bodies which can be helpful when photographing kids or impatient people

Yes, EF and EF-S lenses work with it. This isn't to sound mean but you really should do some research on equipment other than the simple asking questions on a forum. Go to Canon's website and really familiarize yourself with what they offer.

Why do the camera manufacturers make crop sensor bodies when we all want to go full frame? Food for thought.

Well, after doing research I ordered the 60D. You should all be proud. I am now officially professional, meaning I now have back up. I better LOVE this camera! My checkbook just got way lighter. ;) But I believe it's a good investment and makes me more reliable as a professional.

Currently, Canon only offers 1 professional grade DSLR, the 1D X.
Canon's prosumer line of DSLRs is the 5D MKIII, 6D, and 7D.
Canon's consumer grade line of DSLR's is the 70D, 60D, T5i, SL1, T3i, and T3.

Canon's previous 10D, 20D, 30D, 40D, and 50D were prosumer grade, but Canon de-featured the 60D reducing it a consumer grade camera.

Canon EF lenses will work on any Canon SLR or DSLR made since 1987, which is when the EF-mount and Electro-Optical-System (EOS) were introduced to accommodate auto focus.

Canon EF-S lenses (introduced in 2003) cannot be mounted on Canon EF camera bodies.
The current EF bodies are the 1D X, 5D MKIII, and 6D

Why do the camera manufacturers make crop sensor bodies when we all want to go full frame? Food for thought.

And why every year they come out with the D5400, 5500, etc or T3ii or T4iii (LOL) each of which has XX more mega... or the 'new' AF whatever or 'new' metering system....the same reason this year's (insert car maker brand here) has more horsepower, more features, more chrome than last years. They only make money if you buy!

I'm not so sure there is a 'professional' camera, I know folks who shoot D5200's, D300's and D4's. All of them are good, well paid professionals and those are the cameras they used based on need and features.

I feel so behind other photographer's equipment wise. I have a canon rebel T3 which I adore. I own a few lens, 50 mm f1.8, 70-200mm f4.6, and 18-55mm (kit lens).

My question is, is it time to upgrade the body since I'm shooting professionally for people or just invest in better lens? I've heard so many mixed things. I've heard that a rebel T3 can shoot just as good of a photo as any camera with the perfect lens and the photographer knowing how to work the camera effectively.

Thoughts? Advice?

You have a capable body for most circumstances. What features would you want in another body? What is your budget? Those two items more than any will drive you to gear.
If you need, or want, more glass, consider the purpose and specs. IMHO I would not leave the house with one body, I shoot older pro bodies simply because they are feature rich and very reasonably priced. Shooting the 50 and 60D as well these are hard to beat in terms of value.
Once a back up body is in your kit I would recommend new glass. Glass is forever, bodies come and go.

If you are thinking of buying a full frame body buy only EF glass, Also used gear is the best value ( KEH Camera, Adorama, B&H, Cameta Camera) have great gear, for reasonable cost and is under rated. a "good" rating almost always means VERY nice gear.

Enjoy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back