New Camera meets Big Apple....C&C plzzz!

wmc1117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
IMG_0329.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0338.jpg

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0396.jpg

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

I know its a lot for one thread...sorry!! But any advice/needs for improvement are very much appreciated from you guys...thanks for taking the time to check them out!

i'll comment about the ones that caught my interest!

#4 is great compositionally but a little too overexposed.

#6and7 also are really intersting. very clear, great colors, great mood.

whats your setup?

I am using the Canon Rebel XS with the stock lens...until I pick up a new lens. Yeah for some reason I have been having trouble with the overcast sky with my shots :( Which should be an easy shot with the evenly distributed lighting throughout the scene.

I was just curious if people recommend Aperture-Priority for overcast skys...when dealing with dark places in the foreground and bright overcast sky in background?

Those are great photos. I love the one with the american flag and the italy..

I was just curious if people recommend Aperture-Priority for overcast skys...when dealing with dark places in the foreground and bright overcast sky in background?

It doesn't really matter, I don't think. The exposure is a total combination of factors. ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, and I think most importantly, what you meter off of. I have been struggling with this issue too. If I get the sky acceptable, the foreground gets too dark. I think in this situation an Neutral Density Filter is good idea. A Circular Polarizer helps a bit, but not the answer.

I like #5 and #6 for color, composition, and content.

Man, you were in NYC and that's all you got!?

I really like the candid catch of #6. Dramatic lighting. ;)

Man, you were in NYC and that's all you got!?

No, there were a lot lot more, I just didn't want to put them all up. Also was showing my French friend around the city and could only get to a few spots which was unfortunate. However, I like 40 minutes from the city so it's easily accessible :)

Bitter Jeweler, I know what your saying I had a few of those with some of my statues, it's tough. I would try metering the sky and the statues would be dark and vice versa for a read off the statue :(. Yeah I think I should look into a 3-stop neutral density filter.

The exposure is a total combination of factors. ISO, Shutter Speed, Aperture, and I think most importantly, what you meter off of. I have been struggling with this issue too. If I get the sky acceptable, the foreground gets too dark. I think in this situation an Neutral Density Filter is good idea. A Circular Polarizer helps a bit, but not the answer.

I think, we all have issues with that. Its not helpful, but I think we all wish our cameras would have even more range than they do, or be able to adjust better in a contrasty situation.

I love #10. It has great color to it, and really gets me excited to look at (hello city life).

I have yet to get any ND filters after I was told one was $50 at the camera store.
I will get them eventually, but I at least want to be able to experiment and see what they can do, or not do, for that matter. I wonder though. The ND filter will allow longer shutter speeds, but aren't we still dealing with a wide range of light and dark that we just don't have the range for anyway?

I have yet to get any ND filters after I was told one was $50 at the camera store.
I will get them eventually, but I at least want to be able to experiment and see what they can do, or not do, for that matter. I wonder though. The ND filter will allow longer shutter speeds, but aren't we still dealing with a wide range of light and dark that we just don't have the range for anyway?

Yes. Your issue lies with contrast, not brightness. You can try bumping down the contrast in-camera if you're clipping on both ends. Other than that, you're (unfortunately) just going to have to get less dynamic, more even lighting.

Most reactions

Back