New Camera

kqmtb2006

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey I'm kinda new to cameras but I want to buy a new one that I can improve a lot on. Its for stuff like downhill and dirt jump mountainbiking. which are fast sports kind of and usually in dark areas if that matters. heres some pictures...
SamHill.jpg
crankworx1.preview.jpg

yeah but right now ive been looking at maybe the Canon 40D. I have know some people that are pro photographers and they seem to like it. So yeah any suggestions?

Wow... How come gravity doesn't work on that biker? lol

Wow... How come gravity doesn't work on that biker? lol

I think he forgot to rotate the picture :lmao:

Whats your budget?
What are you using now?
Do you have a brand preference?

my budget is under 1500. I dont really have a camera now I use friends... but I dont want to do that. I also want to be able to improve a lot. From what I've heard Canons are better at low light stuff I dont know if thats true but the Canon 40D looks good.

The 40D is a good camera, no question. 6.5 frames/second would be good for your type of photography. It has a great viewfinder. It was $400 over my budget.
I wanted a compact dslr and the XSI w/ 18-55is was right in my price range, feels right in my hands, has great features, gets good reviews, etc. In other words, I like the XSI.
...Terry

maybe you should start with which glass would best suit your purpose, then go from there. i shoot motorbikes from time to time, and would be lost without my 80-200/2.8!

The 40D is a good camera, no question. 6.5 frames/second would be good for your type of photography. It has a great viewfinder. It was $400 over my budget.
I wanted a compact dslr and the XSI w/ 18-55is was right in my price range, feels right in my hands, has great features, gets good reviews, etc. In other words, I like the XSI.
...Terry
Wow, that sounds exactly like me. My max budget is 1k for a body, and the 40D is just too much. I'd rather have another good lens. So I am soon to get the XSi.

If you can afford it, get the 40D. But make sure you can also get a good lens or two. Afterall, that is the whole point of SLRs!

ok cool thanks! im going to go with the 40D and a canon 18-55 mm lens and a 75- 300 mm lens.

ok cool thanks! im going to go with the 40D and a canon 18-55 mm lens and a 75- 300 mm lens.

Those lenses aren't going to work very well for low light. To freeze your subject, it'll have to be a pretty bright day out. I'd like at a minimum 70-200 F4L when you come up with the extra couple hundred bucks, or save for even longer and get a 70-200 F2.8L.

Most reactions

Back