NEW Canon 40mm f2.8 pancake lens

Does that mean this technology wont work on the previous rebel video and other canon cameras?
A B&H spokesman said this in their Facebook post about the lens:
"The lens will autofocus with all EOS model DSLR and film cameras. The STM performance would only work on the T4i and models introduced after. - Yossi"

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Pancake Lens 6310B002 B&H Photo Video

Well, it's out now. Anyone bought one yet?

For only $200, I think I'll get one just because I haven't gotten any new lenses in a while. :lol:

And as small as it is, I could actually leave it on my body while it's in the bag.

Has anyone seen sample images with this lens? I might be interested, but then again I already have a 50/1.4.

From what I understand, the optics are quite good.

Last edited:
O|||||||O - about that STM focusing - what exactly is its special property? Is it looking to replace USM or is it just something that suits video and offers no bonus to still shooting over regular AF motors?

From what I've read, it means STepper Motor - it has a 'new iris mechanism', but it sounds like the main feature is that it reduces noise (as in audio) while shooting video. But that only works on the T4i and after bodies. Not sure what it does on bodies before the T4i, but they say it still auto-focuses fine.

I believe manual focus is focus by wire, and it also has full time manual focus.

Stepper motor = better for contrast defecting AF (Video and Live View)
USM = better for phase detecting AF (DSLR with the mirror down)

From what I've read, in good light the focus speed is "ideal for video". Not sure if that means fast or slow. :lol:

Also just noticed that it says Macro on the side. Probably not true 1:1 macro though... Minimum focusing distance is 11.81" (30cm) with an angle of view of 57.3°. I'm sure someone can figure out the magnification ratio with that information. (Actually, I can... I think.)

When they say that the angle of view is 57.3°, is that diagonally or horizontally?

Trying to figure out the reproduction ratio...

edit
It's diagonal.

And, Canon lists a shorter minimum focusing distance than B&H ... so now I have to start over... :lol:

edit again
Decided I don't care about figuring it out anymore.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back