New Canon Lenses...

it does, but on lenses like the 85 1.2L, the DoF is so shallow that there's alot of precise focus distances it has to cover, especially in the 2-5 foot range. a focus limiter would be helpful, but that would be rather silly on a lense like that. while the motor might be great, it still can't make the glass move that fast and still be accurate.

i think the more exciting lens is the 70-200mm f4L IS, but for $1200 you might as well spend a few hundred more and get the f2.8 IS

agreed. i'm hoping they announce something a little more climactic than the 400d as far as bodies go...at photokina i mean. They'll probably announce something like a 1ds2 or 1d2n replacement in early 2007.

The new 50mm and 85mm are definitely interesting. They better provide WHOLE lot more value over the 50 f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 which are a fraction of the price of either. Both the 50 f1.4 and 85mm f1.8 are great lenses and it would be tough to convince me to spend THAT much more for a tiny bit more aperture... with such shallow DOF at that... I'm more inclined to see them as expensive toys for the camera equipment vanity conscious.

The more interesting lens is the 70-200mm f4L IS. Yes.. I love the results from the f2.8 USM IS lens but its just darn bulky and heavy. A bit too much for someone on-the-move with other equipment hanging on their back. The present 70-200mm f4L is 1/2 the weight and more compact a big plus for someone on-the-move. Throw in IS and now the lens looks really interesting for a person who would find a tripod/monopod would just slow them down... hmmm... sounds like a great zoom for journalists in my opinion.

If the image quality is close to that of the f2.8, I just might be convinced to trade it in for the new 70-200 f4L USM IS. Rather than 4 primes and 1 body, I can carry 4 primes + the new 70-200mm without breaking my back.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back