What's new

New custom Computer: Need advice- Windows7 64bit

BLD_007

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 27, 2009
Messages
330
Reaction score
0
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my current computer that I built is about three years old and it wont turn on. I'm looking at doing an overhaul.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131390

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115223

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145224

Power:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

I already have a dvd drive and videocard. So, what do you think? I want to use it for photo editing, video games, and during downtime help SETI@home find life lol.
 
Once you try Mac you'll never go back.
 
Once you try Mac you'll never go back.

Yeah because you'll likely end up shooting yourself. :lol:

But seriously re-read the OP's requirements and you'll see Mac's are just totally not suited for his needs. No one buys a mac to play videogames and run Windows 7.
 
Once you try Mac you'll never go back.

Yeah because you'll likely end up shooting yourself. :lol:

But seriously re-read the OP's requirements and you'll see Mac's are just totally not suited for his needs. No one buys a mac to play videogames and run Windows 7.

PC gaming is dead because there are not enough game titles released for it anymore. Consoles are where it's at for gaming. I'll stick with my Macs for computing.
 
Once you try Mac you'll never go back.

Yeah because you'll likely end up shooting yourself. :lol:

But seriously re-read the OP's requirements and you'll see Mac's are just totally not suited for his needs. No one buys a mac to play videogames and run Windows 7.

PC gaming is dead because there are not enough game titles released for it anymore. Consoles are where it's at for gaming. I'll stick with my Macs for computing.

Hey guy, stop trolling.

PC gaming is not dead. I prefer to buy FPS, RTS, and RPG games for my PC. A keyboard and mouse can't get replaced by a controller.

And even though it's not my thing, if you want a real racing simulator experience, you're going to find it on a PC. That's something a console can't provide.
 
So my current computer that I built is about three years old and it wont turn on. I'm looking at doing an overhaul.

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131390

CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819115223

RAM:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145224

Power:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139006

I already have a dvd drive and videocard. So, what do you think? I want to use it for photo editing, video games, and during downtime help SETI@home find life lol.

What GPU?

And if you don't need a workstation board, that's probably going to be overkill. And depending on the card or any future upgrades you may want to do, a larger power supply may be in order. Plus, purchase a modular supply if possible. The specs on the one listed don't show that it's a modular supply. You'll be able to keep a cleaner case if you don't have a ton of unused power connectors just hanging around.

And the best part is? Toss in another HDD and put OS X on it so you can boot between OS X and Win 7. It's the best of both worlds. If you want to of course...That way you can tell the Apple fan boys that your PC running OS X is cheaper than a MBP and will smoke the pants off of one, too.
 
Hah macs are crap. There is only one thing I like abou it. Aperture 3 :D. Aprat from that its pretty crappy. My apple stuff is just stored in my closet. WIndows for the win.
 
Any reason for that motherboard and processor, they are incredibly overpriced for little to no performance gains over the next tier down. If you are not planning on doing extreme overclocking with a phase change cooler or LN2, then you are largely missing out on the benefits of the extreme line of processors. There is almost no reason to spend more than $200 on a desktop motherboard. Note that that motherboard does not even have a PCI slot, dont know if any of your hardware requires this or not.

Get at least 12gb of ram, not sure if you planned on buying 2 of those sets or not. I just upgraded from 6 to 12 and it makes multitasking with large files across the Adobe suit much less frustrating.


Modular PSUs are nice, but not necessary depending on your case and how many of the wires you are actually going to need anyways. If you are going to need all but 1 or 2, then the benefits quickly are outweighed by the additional cost and risk of a wire becoming unplugged. Depends if you are a stickler for wiring in your case or not too.
 
I agree on the RAM issue. The more the merrier currently. Mind you I edit a lot of 100+ mpxl 16bit images which doesn't help. But image editing especially if you're a heavy user of layers is one area which will quickly chew through available memory.

While I agree with PSUs with modular supply cables, there's often a gap above the PSU on many computer cases so I typically sticky tape redundant cables to the top. Depends on your case. But cleanlyness is next to godlyness, especially when it comes to airflow.

Also with the GPU, don't forget that the entire new Adobe suite takes advantage of GPU transforming capabilities for zooming and panning to make your life faster. Also if you're into panoramas using programs like Autopano Pro allows you to reposition the panorama in real time if you have a semi beefy GPU.

PC gaming is dead because there are not enough game titles released for it anymore. Consoles are where it's at for gaming. I'll stick with my Macs for computing.

Yeah ok. I'll take a deep and meaningful think about this while I play JustCause 2, Dead Rising 2 (console games right?) or perhaps I'll play some Starcraft 2 which isn't actually going to come out on consoles. Either way I'll get back to you.

Seriously Trolling 101, your troll post needs to be even partially believable or you look kinda silly.
 
Those components are far too expensive for the performance that they provide.


Consider something like these for your processor and motherboard:
$198 Asus P8P67 Pro ATX P67 LGA1155 motherboard
$310 Intel Core i7-2600K hyper-threaded quad-core 3.4/3.8 GHz unlocked LGA1155 processor
or $205 Intel Core i5-2500K quad-core 3.3/3.7 GHz unlocked LGA1155 processor.
$0 free Civilization 5 game

To round out your build, consider some of these pieces:
$220 2ea 2x4 GiB PC3-12800 G.Skill F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL (DDR3-1600, CAS 9, 1.5 V)
$378 GeForce GTX570 1¼GB EVGA Superclocked 012-P3-1572-AR
$0 free Just Cause 2 and Mafia II games
$195 -20MIR 0.12 TB Corsair F120 SSD (for operating system and most-used applications)
$ 55 1 TB Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 hard-drive (for large game installations, etc.)
$100 LG WH10LS30 Blu-ray burner with Cyberlink PowerDVD software
$ 70 Antec Three Hundred Illusion ATX mid-tower case
$ 80 Antec Earthwatts EA-750 power supply
$ 95 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit OEM
 
Building a super computer is a waste of money IMO. In a couple of months all the components will be replaced by something else. I have an I5-760 processor thats 6 months old tops and it has been replaced by I5-2300 with slightly better specs.

My new computer has 6 Gb memory and a 512M video card. Although I don't use it for extreme anything it's plenty fast for me even using Photoshop. Everything I've read is that you need more than 4 Gb for Photoshop to run faster, I would load it with at least 8 Gb if you have the money (and obviously you do) and for gaming you need a good video card with a fast processor and a lot of memory.

As far as finding life somewhere, whatever you buy will be more powerful than what you had 3 years ago.
 
PC gaming is dead because there are not enough game titles released for it anymore. Consoles are where it's at for gaming. I'll stick with my Macs for computing.

Where do you get your information from? Just because there are becoming less and less Pc Games on the Shelfs dosent mean there arent any games being made for pc. The Companys out there that are producing games found that us pc gamers prefer to download the games,meaning,when we format our drives or build a new Pc we can download the games over night,and they'll auto install.Not only that,i prefer the higher quality graphics you get on a pc comapred to your Xbox or playstaion.
 
Building a super computer is a waste of money IMO. In a couple of months all the components will be replaced by something else. I have an I5-760 processor thats 6 months old tops and it has been replaced by I5-2300 with slightly better specs.

My new computer has 6 Gb memory and a 512M video card. Although I don't use it for extreme anything it's plenty fast for me even using Photoshop. Everything I've read is that you need more than 4 Gb for Photoshop to run faster, I would load it with at least 8 Gb if you have the money (and obviously you do) and for gaming you need a good video card with a fast processor and a lot of memory.

As far as finding life somewhere, whatever you buy will be more powerful than what you had 3 years ago.

I have an i7-920 OC'ed to 3.8ghz and a 1gb gpu that's over two years old. It's still a lot faster than most computers out there. Those parts were basically new when I purchased them. Saying that it's a waste of money is a narrow minded onion.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom