AlexGavillan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Guys,

Just picked up a Nikon D3400, based on some great feedback and recomndations from this site. Ive got the kit lens, and it works well, however its holiday time and some peeps want some gift ideas.

I was thinking about a fast prime lens and came across Nikon AF-S FX NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G. I understand that's for an FX and not a DX camera. Would it be safe to assume that the focal length would instead be around 80mm? Again still new, still learning haha I do know there is a crop factor involved. Im also not sure of the effect that this would have on my camera.

I am looking for an all around lens, but of COURSE we all love that bokeh so something fast would do wonders too. This is a hobby and I have a kid, so ill be taking everything from portraits, street, and just filling up that memory card.

I am also open to other suggestion from 3rd parties as well.

Thanks,

Alex

Last edited:
the 50g f/1.8 delivers a lot of bang for the buck. I like it esp wide open in the near field.

it is also light and small and goes well with a light and small camera like the D3400

the focal length of a 50mm lens is always 50mm. With a crop sensor you crop the inner and best part of the image the lens projects.

a 50mm on a 1.5x crop features the same angle of view as a 75mm on a 24x36 sqmm sensor

That 50mm along with the 35mm 1.8G are pretty much every new photographer's first lenses :p

Great bang for buck lenses for image quality and introduce you into the world of fast lenses.

don't worry about the whole FX DX thing. every Nikon lenses will mount and work for your D3400 (some just won't work fully).

Last edited:
the 50g f/1.8 delivers a lot of bang for the buck. I like it esp wide open in the near field.

it is also light and small and goes well with a light and small camera like the D3400

the focal length of a 50mm lens is always 50mm. With a crop sensor you crop the inner and best part of the image the lens projects.

a 50mm on a 1.5x crop features the same angle of view as a 75mm on a 24x36 sqmm sensor

I don’t know why I assumed focal length changes haha. That’s a physical attribute :) thanks for the clarification.

So moving forward, its the viewing angle I need to take into consideration. Is it safe to assume that the length is more often than not going to geared towards a full frame camera unless noted? Meaning if I buy a 55mm lens and use on a crop sensor I’ll need to calculate the viewing angle?

That 50mm along with the 35mm 1.8G are pretty much every new photographer's first lenses :p Great band for buck lenses for image quality and introduce you into the world of fast lenses.

Awesome, seems like I’m on the right track :) any other recommendations as far as going with a prime vs zoom or items to consider?

you don't need to calculate anything. you mount the lens and take pictures.

set your 18-55mm to 50mm. viola. this is what your new 50mm's viewing angle will look at.

what youll gain from a 50mm 1.8G is the sharpness from that lens over your 18-55, and the ability to shoot at f/1.8 all the way to f/16.

right now at 50mm with your 18-55mm, you can only open the aperture as wide as ~f/5.0. you'll unlock all the extra abilities of shooting with a fast lens, like shooting in low-light or narrowing your DOF to create subject to background separation.

what youll gain from a 50mm 1.8G is the sharpness from that lens over your 18-55, and the ability to shoot at f/1.8 all the way to f/16.

right now at 50mm with your 18-55mm, you can only open the aperture as wide as ~f/5.0. you'll unlock all the extra abilities of shooting with a fast lens, like shooting in low-light or narrowing your DOF to create subject to background separation.

Perfect explanation, I also brushed up on this as well, Understanding Crop Factor. So here in lies another question :) and yes, I will do some reading. Is there a reason to go with the an actual DX (for my cameras format) vs FX? I found the same lens but for DX "55mm Equivalent" assuming they are saying that because of the crop factor?

DX: https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-N...s=nikkor+50mm+1.8&refinements=p_85:2470955011
vs
FX: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y1AYAC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I268SH8I0MLELR&colid=2ZY25QU3IGUCF&psc=1

I know I may not need to think/worry about it, i just want to learn/understand why.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Perfect explanation, I also brushed up on this as well, Understanding Crop Factor. So here in lies another question :) and yes, I will do some reading. Is there a reason to go with the an actual DX (for my cameras format) vs FX? I found the same lens but for DX "55mm Equivalent" assuming they are saying that because of the crop factor?

DX: https://www.amazon.com/Nikon-AF-S-NIKKOR-Focus-Cameras/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&rps=1&ie=UTF8&qid=1512422192&sr=1-4&keywords=nikkor+50mm+1.8&refinements=p_85:2470955011
vs
FX: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Y1AYAC/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I268SH8I0MLELR&colid=2ZY25QU3IGUCF&psc=1

I know I may not need to think/worry about it, i just want to learn/understand why.
First; I agree that getting the 50mm 1.8 G will spark your photography up a few notches. Get it. They're not terribly expensive, even new, and you can find minty used copies for (relative) peanuts. Get it. You'll enjoy it.

Second; try not to become overwhelmed by the "crop factor" thingy. It is next to meaningless in the real world. The field of view will be somewhat constrained by mounting it on a DX camera with its APS-C sensor (such as in your D3400), but you don't actually see a difference with only one camera to judge it. And you see a different field of view if you mount that lens on an FX camera. But that's about the only time anybody needs to figure the field of view difference.

O.K., so now how to figure it? In the Nikon DX bodies (APS-C sensor) the factor is either 1.5 (going one way) and .75 going the other direction. Mount the 50mm on your D3400, multiply by 1.5 to get a 75mm field of view equivalent. Or mount a DX lens on a FX body, and you multiply by .75 to figure the field of view. (Why someone would mount a DX lens on an FX body is another issue.) BTW: there just aren't that many dedicated DX lenses, and most people don't go looking for them. If the lens has DX in the name, then it is a dedicated DX lens, but if that nomenclature is not present, then it's an FX lens.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Got it! Thank you, lots to read out there with varying opinions haha. In my head I'm going, "OK so remember to do this, crop factor that, some math..." NOPE! Glad I can just worry about snapping some photos. Thank you! This has been a huge help (everyone) and now I have some items on my Christmas wish list :)

Most reactions

Back