New D5500 and D7200 in 2015

Nikon is creating a lot of clutter releasing a new D5x00 every 12 months.
Imagine what the used Nikon DSLR market will look like in 10 years.
You'll need a scorecard to keep track of the all the D5x00 and D3x00 players.

This was my first thought as well. I am not a business expert but I can't see how updating these bodies so often is practical for Nikon.

I think the bulk of the D3x00 and D5x00 market are Costco (and such) customers who buy DSLRs because they're perceived to be good cameras. They'll never take them out of the full Auto mode but they feel the need to upgrade their cameras at least every two years anyway.

I took my aging D90 to a birthday party once to snap some memories. A bunch of people at the party proceeded to tell me about their own, great SLR camera when they saw me holding mine. They couldn't remember the model or the brand even in some cases but at least a few of them said that they need to upgrade to a newer model because they've had the camera for an x (x being between 1 and 5) number of years. It was pretty clear that none of them had any real interest in photography and I'm willing to bet that they couldn't use their camera in any other mode than Auto.

Go for medium format. More rare and a lot less likely to run into people who shoot with them. Not to mention the image quality is a step up

Most reactions

Back