new dslr need some advice / help

mavericktg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hi all,

I have trolled through specs reviews on snapsort and the sort and have come up with some options. now I don't want to spend loads as this will be my first real DSLR but I don't want to outgrow it within months. as I'm going to get into wildlife photography (as I already do a lot of hiking etc so incorporates well) I gather I will need a 300mm lens at least.

Nikon D3100 - £369.95 with 18-55mm VR lens
Nikon D5100 - £499.95 With 18-55mm VR lens
Canon 550D - £524.98 with 18-55mm IS lens
Canon 600D - £599.95 with 18-55mm IS lens (only included this due to it being £70 more expensive then the 550d but only real plus I feel for the money is the flip out screen)

Tamron SPAF 70-300 F/4-5.6 DI VC USD £283.61
Canon EF70-300 F/4.0-5.6 IS USM £344.99
Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300 F/4.5-5.6G VR £263.22

now I know that its all about the lenses so is it worth getting the D3100 then getting the Nikon lens or getting the more expensive bodies and then saving for the necessary lens?

I know all this sort of stuff is asked all the time but any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Dan.

this is strictly a budget question so how can we know what's best for you?

Choose whatever camera feels best to you.

Get a camera and start taking pictures.
If you like the hobby, it won't be the last money you'll spend.

I think if its your first then I would start small and build off of that. Most those kit lenses can be sold for around $100 if you decided you wanted to upgrade the lens. After you become familiar with the camera you will understand what lenses would benifit you. Or you could just buy a body up front, and choose a lens that you would feel that would work for you but without knowing much about the cameras could you choose?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back