New DSLR or Mirrorless?

Discussion in 'Mirrorless Cameras' started by mpldenco, Aug 8, 2019.

1. jaomul

jaomul Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Both have advantages. If I was starting now and buying new I'd probably look at mirrorless more seriously. Having said that even if DSLR sales are slowing there is enough gear available for the systems to keep things ok for years to come

2. ac12

ac12 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe in the body, but not the lens. FX is FX, the image circle is the same size.
    If you want to get the lens size/weight down, you need to go to a smaller format, or a lens with a new lightweight design.
    What I am saying is that the weight savings on a multi-lens kit will be minimal, if any, because the Z lenses will not be any lighter than your F lenses.

What I did to reduce size and weight was to switch from DX to m4/3.
    My m4/3 travel camera EM1-mk1 + Panasonic-Lumix 12-60 is significantly smaller and 43% lighter than my D7200 + 18-140.
    The big weight savings is in the long lenses, where the crop factor plays to your advantage.
    The 40-150 is equivalent to a 80-300 on FX, but MUCH smaller and lighter.
    And the m4/3, the 75-300 is equivalent to a 150-600 on a FX camera, but again MUCH smaller and lighter.

The FTZ adapter will NOT autofocus the mechanical autofocus AF lenses, and may some other lenses won't work on the adapter. You need to research the specifics on the Nikon site.
    IMHO, for your primary lenses, you will ultimately want to switch over to Z lenses.

3. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    true, mirrorless cameras can easily use DSLR lenses .... Canon EF and EFS
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

4. petrochemist

petrochemist TPF junkie!

Photos OK to edit
    You are repeating yourself.
    I don't know of any Canon DSLR lenses other than EF & EF-S (their R & EF-M mounts are mirrorless, the S & J mounts are rangefinders, SD mount was cine, FD, FL, AC were film SLRs, EX1/2 & XL are camcorders, SV still video) Canon have made LOADS of non DSLR mounts, the more common of which can be used on mirrorless with relative ease as well.

Using the TAP, one of my mirrorless cameras can also autofocus Canon S rangefinder & FD/FL lenses, something their native bodies couldn't manage, but with some DSLR lenses (NON Canon) adapting while possible is not so easy. Non canon DSLR lenses without aperture rings start to get more awkward.

Fortunately over 90% of my camera lenses (a wide variety of mounts) can be used on my mirrorless cameras at least as easily as on their original bodies. The slight disappointment is the few that can't are probably the most expensive to replace.

5. beagle100

beagle100 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

yes, fortunately a variety of mounts can easily be used on mirrorless cameras
    www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless