New DSLR or Mirrorless?

actually mirrorless cameras (APS-C or full frame) can easily use DSLR lens (Canon)
Adding the (Canon) makes a huge difference to your quote. Without it the statement implies all DSLR lenses, which they can dearly always use but sometimes only in manual focus mode & potentially without aperture control a few are impractical to focus as well such as the Minolta Vectris lenses (which are focus by wire & electronic aperture yet a unusual mount not worth reverse engineering). Modern Nikon lenses are considerably more awkward to adapt then EF models but this is now changing as new AF adapters are coming out.
FWIW my A7ii can autofocus the 1950s Industar lenses @Derrel mentioned. It doesn't do quite so well auto focusing long focal length manual lenses though. Auto aperture is still beyond it with this lens.

true, mirrorless cameras can easily use DSLR lenses .... Canon EF and EFS
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

You are repeating yourself.
I don't know of any Canon DSLR lenses other than EF & EF-S (their R & EF-M mounts are mirrorless, the S & J mounts are rangefinders, SD mount was cine, FD, FL, AC were film SLRs, EX1/2 & XL are camcorders, SV still video) Canon have made LOADS of non DSLR mounts, the more common of which can be used on mirrorless with relative ease as well.

Using the TAP, one of my mirrorless cameras can also autofocus Canon S rangefinder & FD/FL lenses, something their native bodies couldn't manage, but with some DSLR lenses (NON Canon) adapting while possible is not so easy. Non canon DSLR lenses without aperture rings start to get more awkward.

Fortunately over 90% of my camera lenses (a wide variety of mounts) can be used on my mirrorless cameras at least as easily as on their original bodies. The slight disappointment is the few that can't are probably the most expensive to replace.

actually mirrorless cameras (APS-C or full frame) can easily use DSLR lens (Canon)
Adding the (Canon) makes a huge difference to your quote. Without it the statement implies all DSLR lenses, which they can dearly always use but sometimes only in manual focus mode & potentially without aperture control a few are impractical to focus as well such as the Minolta Vectris lenses (which are focus by wire & electronic aperture yet a unusual mount not worth reverse engineering). Modern Nikon lenses are considerably more awkward to adapt then EF models but this is now changing as new AF adapters are coming out.
FWIW my A7ii can autofocus the 1950s Industar lenses @Derrel mentioned. It doesn't do quite so well auto focusing long focal length manual lenses though. Auto aperture is still beyond it with this lens.

I don't know of any Canon DSLR lenses other than EF & EF-S (their R & EF-M mounts are mirrorless, the S & J mounts are rangefinders, SD mount was cine, FD, FL, AC were film SLRs, EX1/2 & XL are camcorders, SV still video) Canon have made LOADS of non DSLR mounts, the more common of which can be used on mirrorless with relative ease as well.

Using the TAP, one of my mirrorless cameras can also autofocus Canon S rangefinder & FD/FL lenses, something their native bodies couldn't manage, but with some DSLR lenses (NON Canon) adapting while possible is not so easy. Non canon DSLR lenses without aperture rings start to get more awkward.

Fortunately over 90% of my camera lenses (a wide variety of mounts) can be used on my mirrorless cameras at least as easily as on their original bodies. The slight disappointment is the few that can't are probably the most expensive to replace.

yes, fortunately a variety of mounts can easily be used on mirrorless cameras

Hello and welcome, if you go Mirrorless you will save at least half the weight of DSLR gear..............

This is most extreme bullshit. That doesnt even apply to the bare camera bodies, let alone to realistic camera setups. For example:

Nikon D850 - 1005g
Nikon AF-S 18-35mm f3.5-4.5 - 385g
Nikon AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 - 902g
Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f2.8 e fl vr - 1430g

Sony A7r III - 657g
Sony 16-35mm f4 OSS - 518g
Sony 24-70mm f2.8 GM - 925g
Sony 70-200mm f2.8 OSS GM - 1480g

Pretty much the same weight.

The only way you can save relevant amounts of weight is if you accept a smaller sensor. And even then you easily end up with the same weight, just by picking a brighter prime lens or something like that.

I use a Sony 1" 20mb RX100iv that I keep in my pocket. My back loves me. Sony's latest is the RX100vii. I make slide shows for a 75" UHDTV that look magnificent including 4K movies the same camera takes. What do you do with your pictures after you take them? That would help define what camera you should use. PS, when i'm shooting and contemplating my navel, I use a RB67 medium format film camera that weighs a ton loaded up with Velvia 50. But that's not for vacations or travels or parties and things like that. When I take out my film camera, my back grunts.
Here're some samples with the RX100iv. American Southwest 2018 - Digital

And here's an example of how NOT to travel light....

20190626_162237 - Copy.jpg

yes, fortunately a variety of mounts can easily be used on mirrorless cameras

And if you are UNfortunate to have one that does not, you are SOL.
You have to do a complete system change, since your dSLR lens won't function properly or at all on the mirrorless camera.

I recognize the lens as a 1980s / 1990s style Tamron Adaptall-II,but is that the 300 F 2.8 or the 400 mm?

I recognize the lens as a 1980s / 1990s style Tamron Adaptall-II,but is that the 300 F 2.8 or the 400 mm?

That would be the 400mm that I got at an estate sale.
You've answered several of my questions about it in a different thread that I started, its the one with the fungus in it.

I use a Sony 1" 20mb RX100iv that I keep in my pocket. My back loves me. Sony's latest is the RX100vii. I make slide shows for a 75" UHDTV that look magnificent including 4K movies the same camera takes. What do you do with your pictures after you take them? That would help define what camera you should use. PS, when i'm shooting and contemplating my navel, I use a RB67 medium format film camera that weighs a ton loaded up with Velvia 50. But that's not for vacations or travels or parties and things like that. When I take out my film camera, my back grunts.
Here're some samples with the RX100iv. American Southwest 2018 - Digital

Considering how versatile this little box is, there is no excuse not to carry it most of the time. :D

I switched from Canon dSLR to Olympus mirrorless a few years back as the weight was just becoming painful. I have not regretted it one little bit.
I'm just an amateur so had nobody else to please with my choice of kit so that aspect was easy, I narrowed down my list and then rented a couple of options before I decided.

. PS, when i'm shooting and contemplating my navel, I use a RB67 medium format film camera that weighs a ton loaded up with Velvia 50.
Let's see some of those MF shots of your navel!
On second thought...

I figure the Canon 5D IV and EOS R are about the same.
The Canon 5D is 890g
EOS R is 600g

300g is a nice chunk of weight.
It will take years; but if you like fast lenses in theory the shorter flange distance will reduce the number of groups, glasses and other complexities in the lenses.
That is where the real weight savings will be.

Tim

While telephoto lenses tend to get heavier.

I got a mirrorless 6 months ago, I haven't touched my DSLR since.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back