New DSLR or Mirrorless?

I'd like to help beat this dead horse a bit...

I've had my Canon EOS 77D, a 24 megapixel camera with Canon's DIGIC 7 processor, for several months now. I bought it because I had no experience with mirrorless and didn't really know anything about it.

My wife was tired of me leaving the 77D on various manual settings or with random lenses on, she couldn't just pick it up and take pictures. I bought her a cheap Canon EOS M100 a couple of weeks ago as an early Christmas present. Camera is about as stripped-down of on-body controls as you can get, almost all of the settings are through on-screen menus, but the heart of the M100 is the same 24 megapixel sensor with dual-pixel autofocus and same DIGIC 7 processor as that 77D.

I've played with the M100 a bit now, both with the 15-45mm EFM kit-lens for outdoors/bright light settings and with my 24mm f/2.8 EFS pancake lens on an adapter for indoors/darker lighting, and based on using that 24mm, we went out and bought the 22mm f/2 EFM pancake lens for indoors shooting. Both the native zoom lens and native prime lens are wonderful, and are incredibly small and easy to carry, providing excellent image quality simply because the lens designs don't have to leave an extra full inch between the lens and the sensor to make room for the mirror, and for the APS-C sensor, aren't based on designs that might originally have been for full-frame and don't use a mounting-flange designed to clear a 36mm by 24mm sensor. In short, being sized for the sensor and without a mirror, everything can be smaller and can still produce image quality rivaling the same sensor on a Canon DSLR.

I love shooting with my 77D, but had I known what mirrorless was about back when I was camera shopping, it's very likely I'd have ended up with either an M5, M6 with add-on viewfinder, or an M50, and not with another DSLR. But because I'd had years of hobbyist experience with a Rebel XS, I went with what was familiar in camera body size, and as such I have a fairly large camera backpack full of moderately large lenses. I won't be replacing the 77D anytime soon, and arguably there are still plenty of situations where I'd have to go with an EF or EFS lens and an adapter to get the right lens for the right setting, but I'd probably still be ahead of the game in size and weight even if I had to carry that adapter for decent telephoto zoom or for that power-zoom-control 18-135mm for video. Mirrorless is the direction of the future, so long as manufacturers figure out what they need. Sony seems to have gotten it, Canon is on its way. Others I couldn't say, but I suspect they're going to figure it out too if they still want to sell products.

Last edited:
Been using a Z7 for the past year. Best Nikon ever (since 1973!) on many levels. A few improvements since the Nikon S1 ! ;o)
[light body compared to other Nikon "mirror" DSLRs, real-time control of exposure in viewfinder (I cannot do without anymore) plus tons of other options and information straight in the viewfinder (being able to see square and in black and white for instance). The 35 mm f 1.8 that I had for my D800 works perfectly with the adapter... and I can use all my other Nikon glass (as well as Leica).... a dream !

Looking for some opinions on buying a new camera body. I'm feeling a bit weighed down by the literal weight of the camera system and the amount of equipment I have. I am looking to lighten up a bit by paring down what I have and upgrading my Nikon D810 camera body. I have Nikon lenses which I love so I think I want to keep them but I'm not totally sure. Is it worth it to get a new DSLR or should I be switching to mirrorless? And if I do switch to a Nikon Z6 or Z7 in order to keep some of my lenses, are there cons to using adapters to get them to work? Or should I try to get Z mount lenses instead down the line? Just starting to think about this and I'm open to suggestions! Thanks.
I bought an Olympus OMd mirrorless earlier this year. I haven't touched any of my Nikon DSLR gear since. The EVF is amazing! Touch to focus and capture changed my life! I've been carrying a body, 3 lenses, two Speedlites and triggers and it feels like my pack is empty.

Others that are Canikon fanboys will probably disagree with me, but if you go mirrorless buy into a system that is established and has their stuff figured out. Canon and Nikon are late to the party and they are playing catch up. Panasonic and Olympus share a format and have years and years invested into the M4/3 system. Sony has some amazing gear and bodies too.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Others that are Canikon fanboys will probably disagree with me, but if you go mirrorless buy into a system that is established and has their stuff figured out. Canon and Nikon are late to the party and they are playing catch up. Panasonic and Olympus share a format and have years and years invested into the M4/3 system. Sony has some amazing gear and bodies too.

I'll bite, what is Canon lacking in at this point?

I'm sure you can find all the features you need. My point was that they didn't release their first MILC until 2012. They started late and haven't innovated very much either. They let mirrorless take a back seat and are paying for it now. Olympus and Panasonic started working on mirrorless in 2008 and that was an extension of their FT standard that they've been working on for almost 20 years. True in body shift IS isn't standard on all Canon MILC, lousy digital IS sucks. All I'm saying is you end up paying more for technology that hasn't been fully developed yet. You get more for your money from Panasonic, Olympus and Sony. They have invested heavily in mirrorless and it's truly the focus of their core business. Canikon doesn't see the true value in the mirrorless market, in my opinion.

It depends on what YOU need to shoot with. I am not familiar with Canon, but here are the Nikon lenses that are still missing in the Z landscape.
  • No native Z 70-200/2.8. It is on the roadmap for release in 2020.
  • Nothing longer than the 50-250/4.5-6.3.
  • No macro lenses.
To fill these gaps, you have to use an F lens via the FTZ adapter.
This is OK, IF you have the F lenses.
But if you are coming into the Z system from another brand, you don't have the F lenses to use on the Z cameras. So you have to buy a F lens and use it via the FTZ adapter, rather than a native Z lens.

Nikon has a multi-year roadmap for their Z lenses (but nothing showing after 2020).
Canon has a similar multi-year roadmap for their R system lenses (but nothing showing after 2019).
Both roadmaps have gaps in the landscape, which presumably will be filled after the displayed map ends.
This is the same Situation that Sony was in when they introduced their cameras. They had the camera but a very sparse lens landscape. It took Sony years to build a decent lens landscape.

Both again have an underwhelming APS-C mirrorless system. Adequate for daytime shooting consumers, but push the light limits and you hit the wall with the slow lenses. This is the SAME situation as their dSLR line.

I'm sure you can find all the features you need. My point was that they didn't release their first MILC until 2012. They started late and haven't innovated very much either. They let mirrorless take a back seat and are paying for it now. Olympus and Panasonic started working on mirrorless in 2008 and that was an extension of their FT standard that they've been working on for almost 20 years. True in body shift IS isn't standard on all Canon MILC, lousy digital IS sucks. All I'm saying is you end up paying more for technology that hasn't been fully developed yet. You get more for your money from Panasonic, Olympus and Sony. They have invested heavily in mirrorless and it's truly the focus of their core business. Canikon doesn't see the true value in the mirrorless market, in my opinion.

yes, be sure to pay the most for "developed technology" - - very important
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

yes, be sure to pay the most for "developed technology" - - very important
www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless

Even more interesting to me is what Canon's newest 32 megapixel sensor may deliver beyond sheer resolution. I read an article from October that called it a game-changer that basically renders everyone's 24 megapixel sensors obsolete, specifically citing its advantages over Sony's APS-C offerings.

I've never used that sensor, and I suspect that most of us haven't used that sensor, whether we're pro- or anti-Canon. That's part why my opinion would be to see if there's a good way to try it out, given how expensive new cameras are.

Most reactions

Back