What's new

New dx fisheye from nikon soon?

I have the 10.5 Fisheye and I love it. Not everybody has to love it, but I do. It has limited use, but when it's right, it's right. When I did some research on the 105 fisheye from Nikor, I found reviews that said it was one of the best Fisheye's on the market. Sharp contrast from how much it got slammed here. I wonder how many have actually used it, or bought it and still slammed it? In any case, I'm still trying to learn how my D90 works. My last 35mm camera was an AE1. just in case the picture link does not work, I will try and post the URL. Beautiful Sky on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

3904243859
 
oh yeah, my little avatar photo was taken the previous year up in the corkscrew using a D200 and the 10.5 fisheye as well. I think the corner of my SUTRO sunglasses was about 2 inches from the front of the lens.
 
skateboard photographers are allllll about this lens. My sigma 10-20 is an AWESOME lens but it doesnt give you the distortion that the 10.5 fisheye does.
 
How does the aperture affect AF? You get a f/2.8 fisheye because even 1/4th of a second hand held isn't enough sometimes. Like in this shot taken at night: http://digitalfreak.net.s39124.gridserver.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/36011.jpg

In my opinion you used a very key word, niche. Fisheyes a niche lenses often used by very creative amateurs. Many of the type who have progressed far beyond the D40 or any of the other entry level non-in-camera-AF bodies. So again the likely target market to invest R&D budget is pretty darn small.

As for quality this is nothing new. Nikon make some crap lenses, and so do Canon and every other company. Price has little to do with image quality amongst many lenses. There are some lemons and some gems to be had everywhere. The only thing that seems inline with price is the build quality which is about all the Nikkor fisheye has over the competitors from what I have read.

Between economic crisis, a niche market, presumed push towards more FX lenses, and the lens only being 6 years old, it doesn't matter if it could use an update, it probably simply want get one in the foreseeable future.



Mind you marketing folk who push this can do strange things. Heck if Microsoft think a launch party is in order for Windows I'm sure someone out there would suggest sinking huge costs into this for next to no return.

Oh, Derrel was suggesting just stopping it down to f/8 and set hyperfocal. I was suggesting that not everyone wants to shoot at that kind of shutter speed, especially when they pay for an f/2.8 lens.

As far as the quality goes, I've edited a lot of weddings with numerous photos shot on this lens and was not impressed with the quality. May have been a bad copy or something. Considering most people don't buy 16x20 prints or larger of a fisheye shot, it's less of a concern I guess (in the wedding industry, where a fisheye likely gets the most use). Photolicious's copy seems to have less purple fringing then I remember on this lens, and sharper corners as well.
 
"May have been a bad copy or something"

Ya think so?
 
I just rented the 10.5 and have enjoyed using it. It is probably a bit above my current level, but I thought I would have some fun with it for $25 (3 days).
I have been roaming around with it looking at everything differently and trying to peg a good forum for it, but so far I'm not too happy with my choices.

I found this thread while searching for threads with photos using this lens to get some inspiration.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom