beaum

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. Just recently moved to Vegas from Los Angeles, and somewhat recently before that from San Diego. Photography has always been something that I greatly enjoy and have wanted to pursue a career in photography. Unfortunetly I had to sell my entire rig when moving to LA as my company wouldn't pay for moving expenses so I'm starting from scratch again... :(

My biggest interests as a photographer would be to do:
a) sports photography
b) wedding photography
c) anything travel and/or war correspondence photography

Again I'm rebuilding my rig from scratch and would be more than happy to receive recommendations on Canon recommendations on lens types for 'genre's' above. My previous kit consisted of a 7D, 24-70 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/2.8L, and a 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 USM. All 3 lenses I loved having, but curious on those who may run a 'pure prime' lineup.

I currently work in IT and have had about enough of this career, and want to get a plan to get the gear I need to pursue something ill be happy doing. I have no formal education on photography and college for it is out of the question, im 29 and to fund that at an art school would be basically impossible. I'd be interested in workshops in the las vegas area, mentors, etc. But I need to make this change and need some directional help on how to get to where I want to be.

Thank you for reading!
-Beau

I would suggest staying in IT for a while, and building a skill set. Sports photography is an unlikely source of much money at all; just too many cameras out there at events now, too many good-enough images being snapped by moms and dads, wives and girlfriends, BFF's, and so on. If you have an on-site truck with viewing stations and on-site sales and on-site printing, you might be able to make some money, but the start-up costs are not miniscule. Weddings are probably the best bet, but you're entering a crowded field and are asking questions about gear when the real issue is going to be getting paying customers, and running a business. The weekend warrior wedding plan might be do-able.

Welcome!

I've always wanted to visit Vegas. How are you liking it so far?

Welcome!

I've always wanted to visit Vegas. How are you liking it so far?
Loving it! Moved from CA so above all enjoying the cost of living difference, it's life changing lol.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back