New guy here.....40D, Rebel T1i, t2i or XSi

cbourbeau32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm upgrading from my Olympus Evolt E-500 mainly because of the cost of upgrade lenses compared to Canon or Nikon. Anyway I've got my choices narrowed down to one of the ones listed above or possibly a 50D if I could find one for the right price. I've already got a couple of lenses (EF 35-80 and EF-S 55-250 IS) so I'm just shopping for a camera body for around $200-$250. I know I'll have to get a used one for this price range but that's ok with me because I can either buy from KEH or some other reputable company with built in warranty on their used stuff or buy the extended warranty if I find a deal on Ebay. For those who own one or more of the cameras I've mentioned I'd like to have your feedback. My interests are: long range wildlife photography, wide angle (will have to add lens for that) and macro.

Thanks, Charlie

I'm not familiar with the 40D/50D's layout, but my 450D(xsi) really limited me with the single 'wheel', and the fact that you could not save 'pre-sets' on the program dial. I got some nice shots with the 55-250, but the newer STM lenses are apparently much better. Have you handled any of these canon's before?

I'm not familiar with the 40D/50D's layout, but my 450D(xsi) really limited me with the single 'wheel', and the fact that you could not save 'pre-sets' on the program dial. I got some nice shots with the 55-250, but the newer STM lenses are apparently much better. Have you handled any of these canon's before?

I actually purchased a used 40D off Ebay but had to return it due to a bent pin in the CF card slot. It weighted about 2x or more what my Evolt camera weights. That's the only one I've handled.

The T2i and a 55-250 lens [roduced some very nice shots for me in the past. A very nice combo in my opinion.

Same sensor t2i t3i t4i all have the same sensor.
I own a T3i I have zero issues with it .... except it wasn't full frame.

Guess it depends on what your shooting and of course the prices in your local area. Image wise you you probably won't see much quality difference between any of the Canon models listed. If your shooting enough action photo's I'd probably lean toward the 40/50d, much higher frame rates will make a big difference in capturing say sports or wildlife.

If your shooting mostly portraits or stationary subjects then I'd probably look at going the other direction with a t2i.

The only difference between the t2i and the t3i is the t3i has a flip screen or the screen pivots which is nice.
the difference between the t3i and the t4i is that the t4i has a touch screen and is faster at making the settings I guess.
I like my T3i and I am amazed that if I mount a TSE 24mm lens or a TSE 17mm how nice the photos come out .
I own 11 lenses and the T3i does well with all of them ...

The very best of luck of finding what you will enjoy .

Well I ended up with a lightly used, well taken care of 40d with several accessories for $153 including shipping so I jumped on it. I can't wait to get my hands on it and start shooting. I took a DSLR class recently at the local technical school and it completely opened up DSLR photography to me. That and reading "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson. Thanks for everyone's input.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back