new guy here

xxjordanexx

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
recently i have taken in alot of interest in taking landscape pictures and close up pics, and for now im using my sisters nikon d40, but i am wanting to get a camera of my own and i have no clue what to get. im either going to get canon or nikon but i dont know which would be better to suit me. So any help is appreciated and i`m sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot.

Welcome!
They both take pictures... which do you like the best? Go to some camera shops and hold both and play with the set up of the settings.

I'd say, buy the d40 for cheap and learn with it.

well to be honest the only camera i have used is the d40, so i really don`t know as of yet. But i like the feel of the nikon, im just a little worried about the availability of the accessories for the d40?

This is a pretty common topic... And really, you will likely be satisfied with either Canon or Nikon. They both make good camera systems. I say systems, because it is important to look "down the road" so to speak and envision what you will want in the future.

Its the lenses and accessories that make the biggest difference. Although, as Cnutco mentioned... It is a good plan to hold the camera(s) you like to see if if will suit yor needs and requirements. Not only in technical features, but also in weight, size, layout, build quality... and so on.

Whatever your choice, Nikon or Canon are great camera systems.

ok thanks, lenses which size would be better for taking landscape pics?

ok thanks, lenses which size would be better for taking landscape pics?

Start with the kit lens (the one that usually comes with the camera) and decide once you've experienced the various zooms a bit.

If your like e and not made of money, then try to stick with a lens that offers a fairly large aperture (2.8 or larger ... smaller number = larger aperature).

Not to be condescending... But in case you are not already aware, the aperture is generally refers to the diameter of the opening in the lens that allows light into the camera.

I like the flexability the kit lenses offer as far as the variety of focal lengths... But I wish they offered a larger aperture by default.

i need all the info i can get, so go ahead and inform me lol

recently i have taken in alot of interest in taking landscape pictures and close up pics, and for now im using my sisters nikon d40, but i am wanting to get a camera of my own and i have no clue what to get. im either going to get canon or nikon but i dont know which would be better to suit me. So any help is appreciated and i`m sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot.

I've got 30 years of SLR's under my belt and with it has come this way to determine what camera is right for you. Most of the questions that you need to answer have little to do with the camera specs.

The answer form goes something like this

1) How will you use the camera?
a)every day (DSLR)
b) once in a while (point and shoot or lesser beast that DSLR)
c) had to have it now is unused (be honest)

2)What will you do with the photos
a) Shoot and print with out any other processing (point and shoot or lesser beast that DSLR DSLR's I think must have extra sharpening after capture)
b) Some minor processing after capture (possibly a DSLR)
c) extensive computer processing of images to get the best result (DSLR)

3) How big of prints will you make
a) None only for the web and email (any digital camera)
b) 4x6 as they are good album size (almost any current megapixel level will work. No cropping = any camera, some cropping = maybe DSLR)
c) Extensive cropping but only 4x6 prints likely (High MP DSLR)
d) some cropping and big prints (High MP DSLR)

etc. etc goes the questioning. Your use of the photo, the treatment of the photos, and your technique are just as important as the camera specs.

Since you said you have just started I'm sure that you don't know what your technique is yet. For example mine is to frequently take a very wide 12-24mm angle shots of people and then crop out very small sections for 4x6 prints. I can take advantage of the wide angle lens's huge depth of field (in focus zone) and capture the accidental subject matter that I did not notice when paying attention to the primary subjects. People do stuff when they are not having their photos taken. Little do they know that they are getting their photo taken.

So although my tendencies are to make 4x6 prints which might suggest that any MP is adequate, my wide angle and crop technique calls for a very high MP camera.

Since you are just starting and have not traveled down any of these roads yet I recommend that your primary criteria be cheap price. As you progress and your needs start to surface then you will be able to answer your own question "what camera do I need" I have noticed people on forums tend to recommend the expensive stuff as must have. No need for the expensive stuff if your answers to the above type questions do not warrant the expense.

After all that I recommend Nikon. Canon abandoned compatibility with old Canon gear when Auto Focus was introduced. I snapped off a lens getting out of the car. I went to Goodwill and bought a cheap used Nikon film camera for the lens to get me through the weekend. I sold it afterwords.
And Nikon glass is famous for good reason.
Canon and Nikon dominate the DSLR market to the tune of 80% plus so there is more used gear to choose from.
Besides people ohh and ahh over my Nikon because it is a Nikon. I never hear anyone ooh and aah over a Canon. Perhaps it is because Canon dominates the point and shoot market and people associate that with ordinary.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back