New Guy ::: Old SLR Dig

Morganeyes

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Guys, first post... I was recently handed a Canon EOS D60 and 3 lenses in a bag. The cam looks good and I'd like to play around with it. Bit of background on me. I recently let go of my old film cams including 2 Pentax bodies from the 60's. I have photography in my blood and have always been able to produce good results. As smart phones advanced, of course like most of us I took lots of shots and now own the Moto Z Droid which seems to have a great cam on board. Still, I remain from the old days an SLR guy but of course I want what I can't afford.
Now, I'm thinking well my phone is 21 MP so why would I give an old 6 point something MP SLR a second look? Well, the simple answer is that I actually now HAVE an SLR which is something at least...
Here are my questions: Is this old dog a doorstop? I understand it uses USB V 1.1 and some kind of card. Can I get the pictures I take to my laptop or is it a lost cause? What about the on board battery which is probably completely dead as there is no cord on the charge unit she gave me with it??? And finally, I see one on Ebay for $110.00 so there is obviously no historical value here and not likely to be any time soon... What say the quarum? Any responses greatly appreciated.

Hi, and welcome to TPF!

If you want more specific replies to your questions here, you might want to re-post them in another forum here, maybe in the Canon forum. Not everyone looks to this forum as a place to field questions about gear, etc.

Hope you stick around and post your work in our Galleries section, too. Have fun!

Hi Guys, first post... I was recently handed a Canon EOS D60 and 3 lenses in a bag. The cam looks good and I'd like to play around with it. Bit of background on me. I recently let go of my old film cams including 2 Pentax bodies from the 60's. I have photography in my blood and have always been able to produce good results. As smart phones advanced, of course like most of us I took lots of shots and now own the Moto Z Droid which seems to have a great cam on board. Still, I remain from the old days an SLR guy but of course I want what I can't afford.
Now, I'm thinking well my phone is 21 MP so why would I give an old 6 point something MP SLR a second look? Well, the simple answer is that I actually now HAVE an SLR which is something at least...
Here are my questions: Is this old dog a doorstop? I understand it uses USB V 1.1 and some kind of card. Can I get the pictures I take to my laptop or is it a lost cause? What about the on board battery which is probably completely dead as there is no cord on the charge unit she gave me with it??? And finally, I see one on Ebay for $110.00 so there is obviously no historical value here and not likely to be any time soon... What say the quarum? Any responses greatly appreciated.

If I remember correctly they store pictures on a compact flash card, so extra memory cards should be readily available, as should card readers assuming your laptop doesn't have a CF slot built in already.

You should be able to get replacement batteries and battery charger for it as well.

Welcome

USB V1.1 is cross-compatible, it can be read with no issue via cable.

It's not an absolute to have the latest camera. More MP crammed into small sensors is not a good thing. I believe it is more about the person behind the camera than the hardware. Sure, newer hardware is fun but at the end of the day, I can make just as bad an image with a 3,000 dollar DSLR as I could with a $75 older used one.

You can buy a generic battery with charger for it cheap or look for a used battery charger as the battery might be fine. Or you can look around for the name brand... quick search....
CANON EOS D60 Battery Charger by BatteryEase.com

NEW 2GB 2 GB Compact Flash Card CF Memory Card 2gb cf card 2 gb-Newegg.com

This image was taken with a Nikon D70s, around the same timeline as a EOS D60. You can still print good size photos from them as well. Don't get hung up on the hardware, get hung up on producing the image.

D70s 301.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that is one awesome shot.. thanks so much for all the good information... M

Welcome. Ugh another one from the dark side ;)
Kidding, where are you?
Hi Nancy, we live in Yuma AZ... I am planning to get some awesome sunset shots with my new toy...
Here is one I recently got using my Moto Z Droid phone cam...
Yuma skies.jpg

Shoot with it until you feel you have out grown it, then move into a newer Canon model like a T6i (entry level) or 70d (intermediate). Some advantages; is better low light capabilities, and you could use your existing lens. Currently, you could also pick up a fast lens to use in low light or maybe you already have it...

Canon 50mm F/1.8 II EF Mount Lens {52}

Sent from my XT1254 using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

Most reactions

New Topics

Back