New guy with an old camera

SleightOfHand

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys! New photographer here, 25 years old, living in Las Vegas, NV. I have just recently started getting into photography, but I am having a lot of fun with it :) I studied engineering, but my mother is a graphic designer but not a photographer, so I have experience using Photoshop (and now recently Lightroom) to edit photos and general exposure to art (although it was more modern art than photography). Ive recently been trying to be less extreme with my edits, so hopefully my future shots will be better and more realistic. I also see that lighting is a HUGE issue and that is definitely something that I want to work on :) Anyway, just wanted to get myself out there a little and see what the community thinks. I am open to critique!

Ive been trying to upload some photos directly but it seems that the server doesn't like large files (even though 3MB isn't that big). What file size is the limit and what do people typically do to upload their photos?

In the meantime, heres a link to my Pinterest where you can see my favorite photos. Photos early on were captured using an iPhone, then later using a Panasonic DMC-ZS8 Point and Shoot, and I just recently got a hand-me-down Canon EOS D60. Since I am still new, I have no problem using older stuff, but what kind of difference would I find from, say the EOS 60D? From what I understand, the lens is a huge factor in addition to the camera

Rock Climbing

Red Rock Canyon

The EOS D60 was a VERY, very short-lived camera. ALlegedly, it had a lot of focusing issues in lower light levels, and it is now going on nine, or ten years old. It has fairly low megapixel count, and is kind of, well, an "early days" d-slr offering.The EOS 60D shoots video, has an articulated LCD screen, electronic level, exposure preview on the LCD, zoom-able focusing on the Live View LCD, and is, well...just a LOT more-capable camera in many technical/hardware/file metrics. it has an almost 18-MP sensor that is multiple generations newer and better than the one in the D60.

GOod cameras make getting tough shots "easier". The "easy shots" can easily be bagged with the D60.

There, got it to work. Looks like 2MB is the limit :p

These are just a couple of photos using the DSLR. It was my first day using it, and I had problems with the focus, but I can see its still a great upgrade :)

Attachments

• $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    1,001.5 KB · Views: 150
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 158
  • $3.jpg
    $3.jpg
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 169
I really enjoyed browsing through the climbing pics. The two plumber's crack shots were my favorites (Never thought I'd type that!). I'm a noob, so can't offer much technical advice on the photos. I do recommend finding what way works best for you and posting 2 or 3 of your favorites for C&C (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html)

Mr. Squirrels and I did a little climbing top rope and mostly indoors. Setting our own anchors stressed me out.:no smile:

ETA: hey you got it. Now post them in the gallery for more feedback.

Welcome to TPF

Post large pictures, up to 1200 wide and 800 high but when you resize put the quality at about 60. There is no reason to have a higher quality on the web, it doesn't make the picture better, just the file larger. You can post truly amazing screen size shots and they'll be 450 or 500k

On the other hand, don't post small pictures and expect helpful response, there is no way to look at pictures that are 400 pixels high and see enough detail or color to be helpful.

I really enjoyed browsing through the climbing pics. The two plumber's crack shots were my favorites (Never thought I'd type that!). I'm a noob, so can't offer much technical advice on the photos. I do recommend finding what way works best for you and posting 2 or 3 of your favorites for C&C (http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...forum-functions-pictoral-guide-using-tpf.html)

Mr. Squirrels and I did a little climbing top rope and mostly indoors. Setting our own anchors stressed me out.:no smile:

ETA: hey you got it. Now post them in the gallery for more feedback.

Ooh thanks for the link and I'm glad you enjoyed the photos :) And as for climbing outdoors, it's VERY normal to be nervous the first few times you go out because things are not as controlled as they are in the gym. But as you do it more, you will be more comfortable, and you can really start enjoying the climbing instead of worrying the whole time :) Once you go outside, its sooooo hard to go back inside. Keep trying it! It's a lot of fun and it is GREAT for getting you in shape. I am 5'11" and I was 185 before climbing. 2 and a half years later, I'm a lean 153. You can also do it forever. Ive literally seen 60+ year old climbers that climb better than I do.

The EOS D60 was a VERY, very short-lived camera. ALlegedly, it had a lot of focusing issues in lower light levels, and it is now going on nine, or ten years old. It has fairly low megapixel count, and is kind of, well, an "early days" d-slr offering.The EOS 60D shoots video, has an articulated LCD screen, electronic level, exposure preview on the LCD, zoom-able focusing on the Live View LCD, and is, well...just a LOT more-capable camera in many technical/hardware/file metrics. it has an almost 18-MP sensor that is multiple generations newer and better than the one in the D60.

GOod cameras make getting tough shots "easier". The "easy shots" can easily be bagged with the D60.

Ooh great information! I will be using the camera outside in daylight the majority of the time, and I'm still taking amateur shots, so I think this camera will do me fine for at least a little while :)

Welcome to TPF

Post large pictures, up to 1200 wide and 800 high but when you resize put the quality at about 60. There is no reason to have a higher quality on the web, it doesn't make the picture better, just the file larger. You can post truly amazing screen size shots and they'll be 450 or 500k

On the other hand, don't post small pictures and expect helpful response, there is no way to look at pictures that are 400 pixels high and see enough detail or color to be helpful.

Thanks for the tip. I remember hearing about the limitations of file size and image resolution through the internet a while ago, but what you said makes a lot of sense

Don't shoot at f1.4.
Your depth of field is very shallow and so if one part of your subject is in focus, the rest is out.
Your lens is sharper at f4 or f5.
There is plenty of light. shoot at iso 400

Learn about the exposure triangle, depth of field, etc.

And don't get off that rope until you do. :lmao:

Don't shoot at f1.4.
Your depth of field is very shallow and so if one part of your subject is in focus, the rest is out.
Your lens is sharper at f4 or f5.
There is plenty of light. shoot at iso 400

Learn about the exposure triangle, depth of field, etc.

And don't get off that rope until you do. :lmao:

haha yea, because I never had a camera that could go so low, I didn't know f1.4 was so shallow lol. I'm still new, so I thought that the effect was pretty novel and I liked it :p I will be more deliberate with my apertures as I learn and practice more :) I only did a quick overlook of ISO, but I thought that since the light is good, I can go down to ISO 100? Regardless, I will definitely have to do some actual study lol :D

Edit: Ah I see... So with a higher ISO, I can shoot a lower aperture for the same shutter speed... Definitely have to learn the triangle.

Edit: Ah I see... So with a higher ISO, I can shoot a lower aperture for the same shutter speed... Definitely have to learn the triangle.

yes, have a look at DOFmaster.com.
There is a great online dof calculator and you can see how focal length, aperture and subject lens distance interact to give you a specific DOF.
You are trying to get a DOF of about 4 or 5 feet, I would guess. That would allow you to focus on his face and get his near hand in focus

Quick guess of 15 feet away? At 1.4 the DOF is 1.5 feet - about half in front and half in back of point of focus. At f5.6 it would be 6 feet so you'd have better sharpness and an adequate depth of field to get his face and his near hand.

You'll get it, it's just practice.

L

Welcome to the site.

Welcome aboard!

Nice albums!

Welcome! I love rock climbing.... indoors!! lol :D Pretty good pics!

You feeling okay Derrel? You posted about Canon and didn't bash them. :lol:

Most reactions

Back