New here! C&C please :)

ashleighd

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! I've been doing some portrait photography on the side for a while now and thought it was about time I got some feedback from fellow photographers. I don't really have any formal training, so I've just been winging it. Here are a few shots. Have at 'em! And thank you in advance!

$14.jpg$24.jpg$DSC_0439h.jpg$DSC_0718.jpg$DSC_0263.jpg

I'm not sure if you were trying to or not... But in my opinion, the first and last in your series the sun is a but bright and is washing out the subjects...

It is difficult, working with such small JPG imagas... I took the liberty of quickly adjusting the levels to show what a quick and dirty edit might do...

14.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

Please note: This is meant only as an example... All I did was adjust the levels a bit... I did not play with the colors or white balance...

Honestly, I kinda like the effect in the ones where the sun washed out the colors. Especially the first of the two. I would leave the levels where they are, or maybe just tweak them a tiny bit on the second one.

On an unrelated note, do you live near a Marine Corps base?

Honestly, I kinda like the effect in the ones where the sun washed out the colors. Especially the first of the two. I would leave the levels where they are, or maybe just tweak them a tiny bit on the second one.

I'll second that; I think they're great as they are.

It would appear that I am the first to post some "no-likey" comments.

#1 way overexposed
#2 no interest
#3 why is that hand hiding part of the subject?
#4 odd crop
#5 overexposed

There are plenty of other comments that I could make concerning these photos, but I'm saving my fingers for when you get better.

Wow! Thank you for all of the responses!

@kundalini: LOL. I've never noticed this before and now I can't unsee it. Will pay more attn to my subjects' crotches in future shoots. Thank you for the tip!

@bus_rider: Yeah, that is sort of what I was going for... those sun flare shots seem to be my bread and butter. It's what everyone always asks for, so I usually just go with it. I'm definitely still learning when it comes to shooting with back lighting and controlling the light, so tips are always appreciated!

@fingtam: No, I don't actually! You would think so though, I've done quite a few engagements and even a wedding with people in the military and navy.

@Designer: Thank you for your input! As for #3, I'm not sure what you're referring too. I was trying to get a shot of the engagement ring. Anyway!

Thank you again, everyone!

Last edited:
@Designer: Thank you for your input! As for #3, I'm not sure what you're referring too. I was trying to get a shot of the engagement ring. Anyway!

I apologize for the snotty remark, but IMO, the "background" is so busy, and much larger than her hand, it simply overpowers the ring. Yes, I recognize the shot as a typical engagement ring shot, but please consider the whole frame, and select a much more neutral setting. I think the ring deserves much better, and while you're at it, zoom in on the ring.

Pretty decent stuff...work towards finding your own personal style and you'll do great.

I apologize for the snotty remark, but IMO, the "background" is so busy, and much larger than her hand, it simply overpowers the ring. Yes, I recognize the shot as a typical engagement ring shot, but please consider the whole frame, and select a much more neutral setting. I think the ring deserves much better, and while you're at it, zoom in on the ring.

No problem :) I don't get all worked up, it's just the internet. I totally get what you are saying now. Before I thought you meant her hand was covering the hat. I agree too. Sometimes I forget that you can crop post production and don't have to be stuck with whatever comes straight out of the camera.

Thank you again!

Most reactions

Back