I think I'm not understood properly. This may be due to the fact that English is not my native tongue.
Again, just to explain it more thoroughly, there are two ways how I would approach this shot:
1. and to make it easier on everyone here who wants to start panning: Use a slower shutter speed (you used 1/250) like 1/100 or 1/80 to get more motion blur so that the plane looks like it's shooting by at 10.000 mph.
I'm not going into the fact that this technique does require a lot of practice until you get a shot that you want to hang on your wall.
2. This technique was suggested by me as I see it a lot easier to accomplish than panning. Primarily I also believe that photography does go along with the fact the your subjects are mostly in focus. That makes it a lot easier and more pleasing to look at. The photo of the plane is not in focus nor is the panning successful.
Just throwing your camera around without knowing what aperture, ISO or exposure time to use is not making anyone more of a pro or delivers better pictures.
Having your camera stationary (yes i know, he won't get motion blur, I know. Yes I know, I haven't forgotten!) makes life easier and you can focus on other things that you need to take care of like choosing the proper focal point, aperture, angle, exposure time, white balance and ISO to get a nice shot.
Now, one more time about panning. I have greatest respect for photographers who mastered this technique. There are really not a lot of people who can pull that off successfully.
I'm not talking about my neighbors kid strolling by on his bike trying to pan along, downsizing the image from 16 Megapixel to 600 pixels width so one can brag about their panning skills.
I'm talking about panning on a fighter jet 1500 feet away with a 500mm lens so you can identify the pilot in that picture at full resolution.
Everybody has different expectations of how the image should look like. I personally wouldn't bother at this stage to start trying with the panning technique. I'd rather get some tack sharp stationary images and then move on to the more difficult techniques.
But, everybody's different.