SLPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all!

My name is Seth and I have just recently gotten into photography. My love for photography stems from my love for cars. I went to technical school (a community college program for Toyota) to become a certified mechanic. I have always loved cars, and attending automotive meetups and shows. At these meetups, there is always a number of photographers taking pictures of the nicer cars. Since I couldn't get enough, I found myself hunting down their stuff online and looking at it. Last year, I moved to a desk job at a vehicle leasing company, hoping to get back into the IT field. This has put me at a computer 40 hours a week, with most time killing sites blocked. So I did what I knew how to do, look at pictures of cars. This led me to Flickr and StumbleUpon, which showed me other photography as well. From there, I have really grown to appreciate a good photo, especially some of the ones being edited. They blew my mind away.

From there, I couldn't help myself. I knew (and know) I could produce this level of excellence in photography like many others can. I told myself if I put my mind to it and keep practicing, I can do it. So I scoured Craigslist, and with the help of some very knowledgeable friends in the field, I picked out a slightly used Nikon D3100, which fit my Hobby Budget. Then I grabbed a copy of Photoshop CS5, and I haven't looked back. I can already see improvements from where I started to now. I used to think that my Photoshop skills were lacking and that was my problem, but I see now that most of the time, its the picture that needs to be improved. So I come to you all, for good advice, critique, and most of all, to be part of a good photography community.

Nice to meet you :D

:thumbup: Welcome to TPF Seth. :camera:
A key is understanding the technical fundamentals of digital photography.

Digital Photography Tutorials

Visual image composition trial and error has been going on for a couple of thousand years now and we get to benefit from that process by not having to make the same errors made during that time.
There are no visual image composition rules, bit there are guidelines that describe techniques that have been proven to work.
10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad
Advanced Composition -- Part I

Lighting is another key:
Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
Strobist: Lighting 101
flash photography techniques - Neil vN - tangents

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the site Seth!

:thumbup: Welcome to TPF Seth. :camera:
A key is understanding the technical fundamentals of digital photography.

Digital Photography Tutorials

Visual image composition trial and error has been going on for a couple of thousand years now and we get to benefit from that process by not having to make the same errors made during that time.
There are no visual image composition rules, bit there are guidelines that describe techniques that have been proven to work.
10 Top Photography Composition Rules | Photography Mad
Advanced Composition -- Part I

Lighting is another key:
Light Science and Magic, Fourth Edition: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
Strobist: Lighting 101
flash photography techniques - Neil vN - tangents

The links KmH referred you to are some good ones. For example, I just clicked on the third link, the Advanced Composition, part 1 link, and read the article. Pretty good web article. Welcome to TPF,Seth. TPF is the home of the $1.99 chili dog and the $16.99 12-oz sirloin steak. An odd combo, for sure.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome Seth can't wait to see your work!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I checked out the links above and read through them all. Thanks so much for posting so much useful information! The Strobist: Lighting 101 was awesome and the Advanced Composition was most useful, I found.

Most reactions

Back