new here, need help with starting a business

HF Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, I am looking at starting a business and was wondering if some of you can answer some questions for me???

How do you work out costs?

How do you sell your photos? ie after you have a session for a certain amount, where do you go from there? I like the idea of online proofs with watermarks but what happpens after this?

Where do I get them developed for maximum quality?

Can i claim all the equipment I buy on tax?

I have more questions but will get to them a bit later (when I remember, lol).

These are some of my first pics, what do you think????? ( I havent edited some of them yet though, any ideas on what I can fix? - I have photoshop)

CopyofDSC_1745.jpg

CopyofDSC_1749fixed.jpg

DSC_2013.jpg

DSC_2009.jpg

DSC_1992.jpg

DSC_1947.jpg

Hello! There is a separate forum pertaining to the business end of photography. Maybe you will get a good response there?

If you can't answer many of these questions yourself, you are not ready to start a business. :er:

If you can't answer many of these questions yourself, you are not ready to start a business. :er:

+1 on this. You really need to do more research before thinking about starting a business. You need to have a clear picture (no pun intended) of what you want from your business, and how to achieve your goals. Think about everything that could possibly be an issue in getting there, and then think about things that aren't so obvious. The questions that you've asked are fairly easy questions to answer with a little looking. You also have to remember how competitive the photography business is. Think about what you can do to stand out. It's not just about having the best prices, it's about being able to compete against other photographers in your area. Research is the key to any successful business, and it sounds like you should do a bit more. There's a lot to be said for starting your own business, but there are also a lot of things to consider.

Plus, most of the forum members here live in the US and it looks like you're in the AU so a whole different set of laws and economic/business practices/conditions apply.

For us here in the US we have some books we can turn to:

Best Business Practices for Photographers by John Harrington www.johnharrongton.com

Professional Business Practices in Photography a compilation by the American Society of Media Photographers (ASMP). www.asmp.org

Business and Legal Forms for Photographers by Tad Crawford

Lastly, online is not a good place to seek reliable legal or tax advice. You really should consult with a local solicitor familiar with the retail photography business and a certified accountant also familiar with the business of photography.

The #1 reason most new photography businesses fail is because the business owner lacked business knowledge and skills.

Last edited:

My thoughts exactly!!

How long have you been doing photography?

Based on what I see, I believe one should spend more time developing their photography skills before hanging out that shingle.

Based on what I see, I believe one should spend more time developing their photography skills before hanging out that shingle.
Not necessarily.

As always it is buyer beware, but there is nothing wrong with offering images for sale that may be less than magazine cover quality.

Particularly when it comes to retail photography. People buy images of their kid (or spouse or anaimal) because of emotional attachment to the kid or maybe the behavior of the kid/spouse/animal in a specific image.

That's one of the reasons proofing in person can be so valuable, reading the client and upselling when they display that emotion when first shown a specific proof.

Clients aren't photographers and don't know what makes a technically good image, and more importantly, they don't care what makes a technically good image. If the go, "Oohhhhh, that's so cute" at a photo that's out of focus, sell that sucker.

Since quality is apparently irrelevant because there is always some schmuck willing to part with their money, there really isn't anything to discuss.

Good luck.

WOW!!!!!

no offence everyone and it may have came out different in words to as if you were saying it (hard to get emotions in writing/reading) but it feels like most of you are being a little rude :( I am all for constructive critisicm but not when its the whole lot :(

First of all, I am not looking to sell my photos to complete strangers, I am looking to do a business in photographing peoples kids. I dont expect anyone to but a photo of a child who isnt even theirs!!

Secondly, I said I was "looking" at starting a business not actually "starting" it as yet. I am just doing it as a hobby at the moment to build up a portfolio and get to know my camera but I would also like to learn a bit about the business side of it.

And also, Im confused about what you are all saying about the photos? are you saying they are really bad? in which case, can someone tell me where I am going wrong cos otherwise I will never learn anything.

I also studied photgraphy for a year but that was 5years ago before I changed my mind about careers. Since then, I have only been photographing normal everyday things for my own pleasure and have just started taking photos of friends babies etc to build up a portfolio and learn some tricks and find out what I am doing wrong.

KMH, thanks for the book advice, i have been looking for some on the business side of it and had looked at one of your ideas but is there much in it that I could still use for AU do you think?

Brand new to photography, or brushing up on some of the basics? Don’t be shy! Talk to other beginners and ask all your basic photographic questions here. Show us some of the photos you have taken so far and get some review - so you can learn where there is room for improvement!

This is what it said in the thread title for this area of the forum, I thought I was posting in the right area???

Most reactions

Back