New here. New to photog. Looking for some critiquing.

JimmyAtlantis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've taken many pictures in my life, but decided to step it up and get a nice camera that I can grow with because I love nice photos. Here is one of the first shots I got with my 350D. The lens used was a Canon 70-300mm and it was shot in full manual. I can take as much harshness as you have so be honest and tell me where I can improve. Thanks!

168206006_2169ea3ad9_o.jpg

300mm/ISO 100/not sure of shutter speed or aperture.

Do you like the shot? :) What do you think might be wrong with it that it could be improved upon?

terri said:
Do you like the shot? :) What do you think might be wrong with it that it could be improved upon?

I am really pleased with the shot...especially having never used a camera of this caliber. I feel the composition and color are good, but I'm wondering if the exposure wasn't quite long enough. I also feel the lighting hitting the back might be too strong for what was hitting the car.

JimmyAtlantis said:
I also feel the lighting hitting the back might be too strong for what was hitting the car.
I agree. It's hard when you have both direct sun and shadow. I think the car could be a bit brighter, but then the background will be even more distracting. It's hard to tell at this size, but it looks a little soft too. Maybe a slighter deeper DOF would help.

Cool choice of subject. :)

markc said:
I agree. It's hard when you have both direct sun and shadow. I think the car could be a bit brighter, but then the background will be even more distracting.

Do you think it would be better left as is?

markc said:
It's hard to tell at this size, but it looks a little soft too. Maybe a slighter deeper DOF would help.

From what I understand with the lens I used at 300mm this tends to happen. What would I do to deepen the DOF? I think (I was too excited to use my camera to pay attention to anything else) I had the aperture wide open.

markc said:
Cool choice of subject. :)

Thanks...right place, right time. BTW, you're somewhat local to me (Buffalo) :D

Based on my understanding of exposure and life in general:

To deepen the DOF, you would use a smaller aperature (bigger Fstop number). The bigger the number, the more DOF you have, the more of the picture is in focus. Of course, you have to decrease your shutter speed by an equal number of stops, but that shouldn't be a problem with this shot since it's a stationary object. You might need a tripod in low light though, depending on how steady your hand is. By the way, if you click the original image as downloaded on your computer, click the summary tab, and click the advanced button, you should see the EXIF data from your image. That will give you your shutter speed and aperature settings. I dont' know if it works in other operating systems than Windows XP though.
I also think it looks a wee bit soft, but overall I like it a lot. I think the composition is pleasing, and the exposure actually looks ok to my admittedly untrained critical eye. :) I think this picture would look great in black and white, and the patch of sunlight on the trees might be less distracting.

If any of the above info is wrong, please correct me.

EXIF info

1/200 - f/5 - 150mm - ISO 100

For some reason I was thinking I wanted more light to enter for DOF. Is anybody interested in seeing a b/w with the sharpness turned up a little?

i think a tighter crop on the bottom to eliminate the grass would be better. the bottom strip of grass doesn't add anything to the image and distracts a bit... if you could have moved the car to a different area where direct sunlight on the trees/plants in the background weren't illuminated, it'd be less distracting also.

the image does look a touch soft, but it's nice as is also.

JimmyAtlantis said:
Do you think it would be better left as is?]/quote]
I'd go ahead and brighten it up. You could crop a lot of it out, as it's just trees and doesn't add anything to the image. If you brought the top down and cropped the the grass out of the bottom, you could make it more of a panoramic.

From what I understand with the len...eetup. Check that forum if you're interested.

JimmyAtlantis said:
EXIF info

1/200 - f/5 - 150mm - ISO 100

For some reason I was thinking I wanted more light to enter for DOF. Is anybody interested in seeing a b/w with the sharpness turned up a little?
If you were handheld, then you probably made the right choice. If you had a tripod, you could use a slower shutter speed. Or you could have exchanged a higher ISO for a smaller aperture.

pretty good shot. could pass itself off in a brochure definately and thats great if your new and looking to improve.
remember this though: the best zoom you have is your feet!
I NEVER use zooms, neither do most pros (I'm not pro btw) with exceptions of bird and sports/some other stuff.
I think maybe you should have shot it at 75 mm focal length and run a bit closer to get that framing (less zoomed in means less motion blur at slower shutter speeds).
That said, still a very solid photo, doesn't look like it came off old aunt Maria's casio Exelim :p
have fun learning bout exposure.
Luke

I think brightening the car and darkening the background would be a good touch. Great first photo though. Nice job.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back