New here...pics inside

Zed Twenty Ate

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are a few pics from the other day. I got a d40 for Christmas and i am trying to get back into photography. I've been a strictly B & W 35mm shooter for a while (took a few years off so im a bit out of touch) and am now stepping into the digital world. Don't be too harsh as i'm trying to remember how to take pictures! Anyways check these out and give me some feedback...

DSC_0342.jpg

DSC_0343edit1.jpg

DSC_0349.jpg

DSC_0356-1.jpg

Well welcome back to photography! And I find that the fence is the bottom of the picture is quite distracting but none the less good ideas there. Perhaps a simple crop could fix them up nice. #2 is my favorite.

#2 is my favorite as well. It is cropped already and i had to adjust to contrast a little to make it pop. I didn't like the way the B&W shots came out pre-adjustment.

Ya sometimes you have to make little changes that make a big difference.

so does C&C mean critique and comment? if that's the case it would appear that i should have put that in my title...

sorry i'm a "noooooooooob"

Personally I like number 3. The only thing is the subject is centered. Not as though there is a rule stating never center, there are no rules in photography, I just think this shot would be better with the plane of focus up and to the left.

Remember to always include shooting specifications for each shot.

I highly recommend picking up a book on shooting in B/W (black and white) in the digital age.

I don't care for 1 and 4, while 2 has lost too much detail in conversion.

Yes the fence is distracting on 1 and 4, I find 4 to lack interest and a true subject of attention. 1 has great potential with all the contrasts, but here again, I think composition is off as in 4.

And of course, welcome back!

-Nick

Personally I like number 3. The only thing is the subject is centered. Not as though there is a rule stating never center, there are no rules in photography, I just think this shot would be better with the plane of focus up and to the left.

Remember to always include shooting specifications for each shot.

I highly recommend picking up a book on shooting in B/W (black and white) in the digital age.

I don't care for 1 and 4, while 2 has lost too much detail in conversion.

Yes the fence is distracting on 1 and 4, I find 4 to lack interest and a true subject of attention. 1 has great potential with all the contrasts, but here again, I think composition is off as in 4.

And of course, welcome back!

-Nick

Here is the original shot pre-crop for number 3. I played with the cropping for about 45 min before i settled on what i did. I am a stickler for off center subjects, but i couldnt see another option...

DSC_0349orig.jpg

Here is the original shot pre-crop for number 3. I played with the cropping for about 45 min before i settled on what i did. I am a stickler for off center subjects, but i couldnt see another option...

DSC_0349orig.jpg

Accutally, I like this one. I might crop top-down a bit and filp it so the subject is closer, but I like this better. Either way, fence shots are hard to get right and I think you did a damn fine job!

-Nick

I like number 2 a lot.

On number 3, I would've changed my DOF to get a bit more of the fence in focus and moved back a little to get more of the fence. It looks a little bit to cramped in my opinion.

You've got the ideas, now its just time to fine tune them. :)

Most reactions

Back