New Here, question about focus while on timer.

riickye

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey guys, im new at the forum, my name is ricky and i really like taking photos.
I recently went dslr and bought a rebel xti, but while i understand the camera very well, i have a problem that bugs me.
say i want to take a portrait of myself, i put the timer, adjust the camera and move to my position.
The camera then snaps the shot and almost 99% if not 100% the picture is out of focus, I understand that since I was not there when the camera first focused, it messes things up, but how can i fix this?
is there a way to tell the camera to focus again or I dont know, i ran out of ideas already...

thanks for your help in advance, and i look forward to posting here often.

Auto focus cameras focus wile you press the button. in otherwords oyu are focusing on the backdrop.

Put something where you are going to be and then try it

Further information can be found here from when people where trying to help me with this.

I remember while getting pictures taken in school (yearly photo thing) they had a string from the tripod and measured to your chin with it to make sure you were in focus.

You could put something where you would be and measure it with a string. then move the object set the timer for 10sec and go sit (or stand) and measure it yourself as you are moving.

It should work out I would think, but would take a little prep work.

put the lens in manual focus mode. focus on the chair, or some point where you will be standing. then fire the shutter and walk over and place yourself in the shot.

if not that, ask someone to pose, focus on them & use the auto timer.

Thanks all your for your suggestions, i will definitely try them out today, i will report with my results later.

thanks again for your help :)

i would say, if you're gonna use someone else as Gendarmee sugested then you might aswell tell them to take the photo for you...
Yeah no kidding. Just set the camera to manual and, measure the distance set the lense to that. Also dont have the f-ration wide open. THat will give you a shallow depth of field. Or better yet whatever you will be standing against/sitting on, focus on that in auto then fudge the focus back abit in manual. It might take a couple of time but, you should get it.

or get yourself a wireless remote, sitdown point the remote at camera with about a 3 second timer., click, it will focus, hide remote and pose.
it takes picture in focus.

i would say, if you're gonna use someone else as Gendarmee sugested then you might aswell tell them to take the photo for you...

haha! that sounds funny though.
But some people just have the nack of not taking a picture properly. Framing and all get ruined. I remember when i asked my bro to take a couple of pics of me standing against the wall at a fort, he ended up taking pics of the floor with me in the upper half!
Some times a casual person doesn't get he creative part right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back