New Information On My Mystery Canon Elan 7n

mr.mike

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just discovered the film door on my Elan 7n plays a big part in why my camera isn't working properly. It seems when I open the door all functions appear to work as they should. When a film cartridge is loaded and the door is closed, the camera stops working and the screen goes blank. Once the door opens, all functions reappear and the shutter fires once again. In addition, it seems the flash will only function when opened manually. Wondering if there's a factory reset switch somewhere on this camera? This is a real puzzling issue. Hope someone might have an idea.
Thank you,
Mike

Last edited:
No factory reset that I know of. I'm just as puzzled as you.

Electrical speaking, when metal contacts metal it creates a closed circuit of some kind.
if the problem is the door being shut, then there is something in the door being closed all the way that is creating either a short (passage not suppose to b there), or a open circuit of some kind.
Narrow the problem down to that or seek a repair shop.

I appreciate your response, would love to find the answer without having to go for a repair. It probably would cost more to repair than to replace. It's a shame, but I've still got my trusty Elan IIe and it's working fine.
Thanks again,
Mike

there used to be a way to DX code reloadable cartridges, by black felt pen and a silver foil sticker. IT is a simple 3 x 3 or 3 x 4 grid code, IMMSMC.

Those silver-colored button contacts in the film supply well? They read the DX code on factory cartridges.

there used to be a way to DX code reloadable cartridges, by black felt pen and a silver foil sticker. IT is a simple 3 x 3 or 3 x 4 grid code, IMMSMC.

Those silver-colored button contacts in the film supply well? They read the DX code on factory cartridges.
Are you thinking there is a short?

maybe

maybe
Me thinks that there was an issue back in the day over those codes but if every cassette caused the short, it would be in the camera itself.
Thus the codes would have to be covered over on every canister. IF that's the problem.

There is a reset. Press the shutter button half way, remove and replace the batteries.

But, I doubt that will fix the issue.

Hi everyone,
I appreciate the information. I tried resetting using the method described, but to no avail. Here's a bit more information. It seems setting the dial to the program mode will get the shutter and screen working (no film loaded). But if I set the dial to full auto it won't work unless I point the camera into direct light. Sometimes the flashing empty battery symbol pops on screen, but if I depress the shutter it will go away and all functions reappear. The flash works if I lift it manually. But again if I drop a cartridge in, all goes blank with the exception of the film symbol. This is a weird one! Autofocus works with all lenses. Maybe we'll get it figured out, but I'm starting to doubt it.

Most reactions

Back