New iPad - A useful tool?

mrelsewhere

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
The new iPad will have a high-resolution "retina" display and connect to 4G LTE services. Its 5-megapixel camera has built-in image stabilization, to help eliminate the shakes, and also offers the ability to shoot video in full 1080p HD resolution. iPhoto, the photo program on Mac computers, is now part of iPad. With iPhoto, as opposed to the camera roll photo app on previous iPads, you can both edit photos and access the same libraries ("our vacation," "baby born") created on computers.

Apple announces iPhoto for iPhone, iPad: powerful editing, scrapbook creation, available today for $4.99 | The Verge

Can't wait to see the Retina Display with my own eyes - the iPad is great for showing photos to family and friends..

But it would be nice with Lightroom for the iPad - wouldn't this be possible with the new quadcore processor?
iPhoto looks good, but just not ambitious enough for real photoediting... And doesn't support RAW..

if someone can show me how to tether to it with a cable and not wireless and I can use it on shoots instead of my laptop/lightroom tether i'm buying it

The new iPad will have a high-resolution "retina" display and connect to 4G LTE services. Its 5-megapixel camera has built-in image stabilization, to help eliminate the shakes, and also offers the ability to shoot video in full 1080p HD resolution. iPhoto, the photo program on Mac computers, is now part of iPad. With iPhoto, as opposed to the camera roll photo app on previous iPads, you can both edit photos and access the same libraries ("our vacation," "baby born") created on computers.

Apple announces iPhoto for iPhone, iPad: powerful editing, scrapbook creation, available today for $4.99 | The Verge

Shooting pictures and video is awkward at best. And you look silly doing it. I am glad to see iPhoto on it though.

Can't wait to see the Retina Display with my own eyes - the iPad is great for showing photos to family and friends..

But it would be nice with Lightroom for the iPad - wouldn't this be possible with the new quadcore processor?
iPhoto looks good, but just not ambitious enough for real photoediting... And doesn't support RAW..

You bring up the valid debate of the iPad replacing the laptop someday. I don't think it will ever happen, as there are still many things a laptop can do that the iPad can't. But for a lot of people, the iPad is a viable replacement.

Shooting pictures and video is awkward at best. And you look silly doing it. I am glad to see iPhoto on it though.

You bring up the valid debate of the iPad replacing the laptop someday. I don't think it will ever happen, as there are still many things a laptop can do that the iPad can't. But for a lot of people, the iPad is a viable replacement.

SOMEDAY in 20 years or so, both the laptop and the ipad will be ancient museum pieces completely replaced.

if someone can show me how to tether to it with a cable and not wireless and I can use it on shoots instead of my laptop/lightroom tether i'm buying it

Have you looked into this: Amazon.com: Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit (MC531ZM/A): Computers & Accessories

Thank you very much - I need the tether in real time as I shoot such as a monitor in the studio so each shot the subject and I see the pic. It seems this product simply allows the transfer dump of files from the camera card to the ipad

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
2WheelPhoto said:
Thank you very much - I need the tether in real time as I shoot such as a monitor in the studio so each shot the subject and I see the pic. It seems this product simply allows the transfer dump of files from the camera card to the ipad

Only catch is that it won't accept raw. Shoot RAW+jpeg.

mrelsewhere , agin I'm NOT interested in a wireless transfer, I realtime over a cable =)

2WheelPhoto said:

Only catch is that it won't accept raw. Shoot RAW+jpeg.

I don't mind doing that. Have you made this work? What app are you using to display the tethered jpegs in real time?

So your monitor isn't connected to wifi? Assuming you were connected to wifi, what would be the downside to wireless transfer? I'm asking because I don't have any experience with this, but it seems pretty quick and easy...

Last edited:
So your monitor isn't connected to wifi? Assuming you were connected to wifi, what would be the downside to wireless transfer? I'm asking because I don't have any experience with this, but it seems pretty quick and easy...

Downside is waiting on the wireless transfer over wi-fi, instead of the speed of a cable between the camera and the computer or ipad. When I shoot a pic of a model, I want to see it instantly on the screen. Not the model and I wait to see it before moving on to the next shot.

2WheelPhoto said:
I don't mind doing that. Have you made this work? What app are you using to display the tethered jpegs in real time?

I have something similar. I bought a zoomit. When I put the card in, you can open the jpeg or transfer it to your phone, iPad, or etc. I'm not sure if there's actually anything you can use to tether it though. I can be wrong but I'll look around.

Looking at what posted a few posts up, I'm sure it's just a transfer. So you would have to take the photo and open like you would saving pics to the computer. It's more designed for people wanting to upload pics to their phone from the camera or memory card without having to turn on the computer and sync.

Most reactions

Back