Just ordered a new Macbook Pro-! What do other MAC loving photographers use on here?

Discussion in 'Digital Discussion & Q&A' started by Nikon_Josh, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Nikon_Josh

Nikon_Josh TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I know it's sad and believe it or not I am not even an Apple fanboy! I love MAC's as computers but Apple as a company and alot of their tricks leave me a bit cold!

But I still absolutely adore the engineering of their macbook pro line, they are built beautifully and feel like a premium product. My current Macbook unibody 13 inch has been going strong for 4 years now without a single hiccup. I knew the time to upgrade had come though, so a refurb Macbook PRO 13 is on order. I may even get an external monitor for it to make my photo editing process simpler to perfect. The 13 inch screen is great but nowhere near big enough at times for editing properly.

I can not wait to get this new one.. feel like a kid at christmas!

So other MAC users here? What currently do you use in terms of MAC gear?

Do any of you use Ipads aswell now to edit photos or show clients/people your images? Has your iPhone or Android phone become a part of your photography aswell? Interested to hear! :D

(And no this is not a post designed to create a MAC VS PC war, just a nerdy thread for fellow MAC users to share the love of the 'MAC'! :lol:)

2. 2WheelPhoto

2WheelPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Congrats!

I use a loaded up iMac and 27" screen for processing

• Like Like x 1
  3. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't use Macs, but my GF does.

From what I've heard, (from other pro-'togs) is that websites, and displayed images all look like trash because they aren't high enough resolution for the retina display. Kinda has me worried about needing to upload increasingly higher res images to the internet for proper viewing as this display is utilized more and more. Worried about image theft, and worried about bandwith. Apples homepage goes from 500k on a normal display to 2mb when viewed on a Retina Display.

Further thoughts and additional reading regarding the new iPad, Retina displays and what this means for images on the Web

4. Nikon_Josh

Nikon_Josh TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Really?? I hadn't even thought about this. Interesting stuff! So these headline grabbing features could produce alot of extra work for web designers, graphic designers?

5. unpopular

unpopular Been spending a lot of time on here!

^^ not sure about that. If I bump up the resolution on a monitor, the images just get smaller in physical size. Essentially, a graphic element with 1024 pixel width will consume half the screen with a 2048 pixels' width, and so on. So I don't see how pixel density would make websites look bad. Perhaps at highest of resolutions graphics might look small, though this isn't specific to the new displays, but any time you have greater pixel density in a similarly sized monitor.

6. GreggS

GreggS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm an Apple fanatic. I have the 27" iMac and edit all of my photos on it...I love it because of the huge display...you can really get a good overall perspective of IQ on that screen. I also use my iPad 2 to showcase my pics, and they look great on it. the iPad doesn't have a retina display though...so I can't speak to the quality of that. I also keep my pictures on my iPhone 4 as well...it does a great job of showing them in a pinch when I don't have my iPad. Congrats on the purchase!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Infidel

Infidel TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Work: 24" iMac desktop, early 2008, 3.06 GHz core 2 duo, 4 GB RAM, plus a slew of Mac mini's running instrumentation.
    Home: 27" iMac, late 2009 (I think?), I forget the specs.
    Wife: 13" brandy-new MBP, maxed out CPU, 8 GB RAM

Also have 32 GB wifi only 1st gen ipad, 160 GB ipod classic, 8 GB iphone 4, apple tv 2.

But I insist, I'm not a fan boy...I think PCs are good too, and yes, they're cheaper and more amenable to diy geekery, which I enjoy. That said, for the computers, they're all used primarily for work and purchased with work funds. For the toys, I guess you can accuse me of fan boyism. I had a blackberry torch 9810 for 29 days and hated it....it had the newest OS that didn't have many apps ported to it, even after several months...also, blackberry is probably not going to be around much longer. I returned it for an iphone 4 and have been pretty happy. 4g would be nice, I guess, but Facetime kicks butt. Also, ical shared over icloud is super useful, as my wife and I can each update the family calendar and check it on our iphones...doubly handy as I use ical for work, too. All in all, I've managed to work the whole apple system into my lifestyle pretty easily (that's the idea, no?) and while it's certainly not perfect, it does come in handy.

Also, for the record, I own and use (occasionally) a dell latitude laptop, which has been an awesome machine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. IByte

IByte No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    ...you poor, poor man :/ . My wife has the ipad n phone and she is always stuck in the cloud.

9. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm the cloud and I say...

Forget MAC!

10. c.cloudwalker

c.cloudwalker TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since we've just had our first serious virus attack I think it is high time we, Mac users (sorry OP I am just a user not a lover,) change our policy on advertising the Mac.

Mac Sucks! Windows all the way!

• Like Like x 1
  11. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just wait until she learns that the could is not a physical place!

12. 2WheelPhoto

2WheelPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

How'd i know this would be a Mac Vs Winders debate? Well its more like Ford vs Ferrari, the winders just can't hang [​IMG]