Just ordered a new Macbook Pro-! What do other MAC loving photographers use on here?

Just an update FYI!

My joy of ordering the Macbook was short lived, I have received it and the fan stays on constantly, so it is getting returned. When I say 'stays on', you can hear it all times. I know the fan should be running all the time at a low speed, but this seems to be at a constant high speed. Very very dissapointed to say the least!

I just thought all the PC fans out there though may enjoy reading this though! :lol:

lulz...as a mac owner, I can't say I'm too surprised. I'm sure they'll take care of you. If you don't get stuck with a lemon, I'm sure you'll love it. Good luck.

I'm surprised too.... I've had all sorts of macs (I mostly buy 1 year either used or NOS) and haven't had anything like that happen. Yup.. get it replaced or taken care of.

Right now.... in my office (er basement).

PowerMac G5 1.8 dual
PowerMac G5 2.3 dual
27" imac Quad core I5

For travel, I have my 11.5 inch MacBook Air

At work... there's another PowerMac G5 1.8Ghz dual that I grabbed from the testing lab for my desk when we stopped supporting Mac OS X.

Just an update FYI!

My joy of ordering the Macbook was short lived, I have received it and the fan stays on constantly, so it is getting returned. When I say 'stays on', you can hear it all times. I know the fan should be running all the time at a low speed, but this seems to be at a constant high speed. Very very dissapointed to say the least!

I just thought all the PC fans out there though may enjoy reading this though! :lol:

It is not uncommon for a mac to run hot during the first couple hours after a clean install. When you turned it on, did the fan immediately rev up, or was there a period of quiet beforehand?

Aside from hard drives, I personally have only seen a handful of hardware failures, and all of which were in a computer lab setting where there were lots of machines in the same area. I have never seen a machine arrive damaged.

Just an update FYI!

It is not uncommon for a mac to run hot during the first couple hours after a clean install. When you turned it on, did the fan immediately rev up, or was there a period of quiet beforehand?

Aside from hard drives, I personally have only seen a handful of hardware failures, and all of which were in a computer lab setting where there were lots of machines in the same area. I have never seen a machine arrive damaged.

Turns out it is not the fan at all mate, turns out it is the hard drive making a gentle hissing sound. Reason this threw me is because my old Macbook was completely completely silent in operation, this new one is audible in a quiet room. They obviously used a cheaper hard drive in this model! A bit irritating they are using cut price parts in a premium machine that has cost me quite a bit.. but that's Apple for you I guess.

Bit of a shame though really, because that is one of the first things I noticed when i switched from a PC. The complete lack of any noise whatsoever and it was one of the reasons I became hooked to MAC's. This one is quite a bit noisier and it reminds me of my PC using days which is a bit of an annoyance, it's amazing in so many other ways though that I will live with it and buy an SSD drive eventually.

Love my mac,

21.5" 2011 mac - great for editing - running dual displays :D

IPhone 3GS - love my iPhone, will probably upgrade to the 5 when it comes out.

Just about to buy apple tv 3

Will but iPad 3 in the near future as well

I also have iPods and other apple bits, I love the apple ecosystem that you don't really get with Microsoft

I like PCs for video games, and office type things and also if I need to download shareware/freeware. So much more compatibility.

But I LOVE Mac laptops for their screens, although I think that at this point in electronic visual technology the Retina displays are overkill.

I'm wanting to get a Macbook just for the sole purpose of editing on the go.

Nikon_Josh said:
Turns out it is not the fan at all mate, turns out it is the hard drive making a gentle hissing sound. Reason this threw me is because my old Macbook was completely completely silent in operation, this new one is audible in a quiet room. They obviously used a cheaper hard drive in this model! A bit irritating they are using cut price parts in a premium machine that has cost me quite a bit.. but that's Apple for you I guess.

Bit of a shame though really, because that is one of the first things I noticed when i switched from a PC. The complete lack of any noise whatsoever and it was one of the reasons I became hooked to MAC's. This one is quite a bit noisier and it reminds me of my PC using days which is a bit of an annoyance, it's amazing in so many other ways though that I will live with it and buy an SSD drive eventually.

LOL wait until they downgrade their CPUs :).

Most reactions

Back