New iPad - A useful tool?

I think, for consultations, the new iPad, or any iPad, would make a good tool. Just showing off your work is one thing, and is becoming a much better tool with the new screen. Another good thing is the Square accessory (I think that's the name). You can take payments via credit card, make, sign, and email contracts and photo releases, and there's a few apps that let you carry around all your lighting diagram sketches (made on the iPad), etc.

Mark

Markw said:
I think, for consultations, the new iPad, or any iPad, would make a good tool. Just showing off your work is one thing, and is becoming a much better tool with the new screen. Another good thing is the Square accessory (I think that's the name). You can take payments via credit card, make, sign, and email contracts and photo releases, and there's a few apps that let you carry around all your lighting diagram sketches (made on the iPad), etc.

Mark

Lifting diagram app? What's the name?

Maybe for displaying a potenial client your portfolio

You bring up the valid debate of the iPad replacing the laptop someday. I don't think it will ever happen, as there are still many things a laptop can do that the iPad can't. But for a lot of people, the iPad is a viable replacement.

I have a Samsung Series 7 tablet running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview and it's a true laptop replacement. It has the touch-friend UI and apps, plus the traditional desktop environment. I've got Lightroom installed on mine it works great. It came with a docking station with USB ports, HDMI out, network, and speaker out so I can use it while docked at my desk and I've got all my USB devices (keyboard, mouse, external hard drives, wireless headset, etc), external monitor, and speakers. Basically it serves as a regular desktop while docked at my desk. Then I simply pull it out of the docking station and I've got a tablet that I can carry around with me. It's a very promising device, and there are a lot of manufacturers developing native Windows 8 devices. Should be very interesting when they all start hitting the market later this year.

[/QUOTE]Only catch is that it won't accept raw. Shoot RAW+jpeg.[/QUOTE]

It will accept RAW. It just won't display RAW.

So your monitor isn't connected to wifi? Assuming you were connected to wifi, what would be the downside to wireless transfer? I'm asking because I don't have any experience with this, but it seems pretty quick and easy...

Downside is waiting on the wireless transfer over wi-fi, instead of the speed of a cable between the camera and the computer or ipad. When I shoot a pic of a model, I want to see it instantly on the screen. Not the model and I wait to see it before moving on to the next shot.

Depending on the card and file, it looks like a lag of 1-8 seconds. I can live with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
So your monitor isn't connected to wifi? Assuming you were connected to wifi, what would be the downside to wireless transfer? I'm asking because I don't have any experience with this, but it seems pretty quick and easy...

Downside is waiting on the wireless transfer over wi-fi, instead of the speed of a cable between the camera and the computer or ipad. When I shoot a pic of a model, I want to see it instantly on the screen. Not the model and I wait to see it before moving on to the next shot.

That's strange. In the videos I've seen, there doesn't seem to be much lag.

Drink the coolaid they are selling these! =)

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back