New Kit for ~$2000

timarp000

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have a budget of $2000 USD. Im looking forward to a Nikon D7100.
Im not new to Photography. I have been taking pics for the past 3-4 Years.

This is the gear i currently own-
Nikon D40x Kit
Diopter Lens

As you can see, its very limited and my D40x is on its last legs now. So im looking to upgrade.

This is what im planning to buy-
Nikon D7100 Kit - $1209
Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 - $498
Nikon 60mm f/2.8D Macro - $429

Total - $2136

I will also need a bag so i will keep $20 for that

--------------------------------------------------------------

These are some of my best shots. hopefully by looking at these, you guys can suggest a better kit for my needs.

Check out my Facebook Page or View my website
Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pramitvrphotography
Website - PVR-Photography - Home

-------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks!

Have you considered used gear? I would check KEH. You may can get a used d600. I picked up my 70-300 for like 270 and it was in mint condition from KEH. I love my d7k but if I had 2k to dump at once I would shoot for a FF body.

Have you considered used gear? I would check KEH. You may can get a used d600. I picked up my 70-300 for like 270 and it was in mint condition from KEH. I love my d7k but if I had 2k to dump at once I would shoot for a FF body.

No, i havent considered used gear. And since a D600 is $2000, even if i buy used lenses ill be out of cash. If you see my photos, im more into macro and wildlife... So honestly, i full frame may not help that much...

Well, for wildlife and macro thats pretty much the optimal set you can buy from Nikon, except the 60mm f2.8 micro isnt so great for insects, if you want to shoot that. You have to get pretty close and theres also the issue that you get between your subject and the light source easily. Really depends upon what kind of macro you want to do.

If you're seriously into macro, I would consider moving to canon for the mp-e 65.

Well, for wildlife and macro thats pretty much the optimal set you can buy from Nikon, except the 60mm f2.8 micro isnt so great for insects, if you want to shoot that. You have to get pretty close and theres also the issue that you get between your subject and the light source easily. Really depends upon what kind of macro you want to do.
Which lens would you recommend? That the only one lens i found at that price point!

If I had 2000K to spend I would go with a refurbished D600 and a basic lens then slowly build up my lens collection.

Saying that I think the D7100 is an awesome tool, for now its the best cropped sensor camera in the market.
If you will get the D7100 then I would consider getting used lenses instead of new.
I would also go with the 50mm 1.8G instead of the 60mm as its faster and cheaper.

I bought only few weeks ago a used 70-30mm VR for 280$ from kijiji- awesome lens!!!!!
The 50mm you can get new for 200$ so I might get it new and I would try to get an everyday zoom, maybe even the 18-105mm used for around 200$
This way you cover all your bases.

Which lens would you recommend? That the only one lens i found at that price point!

Would look at the Tamron 90mm f2.8 gives you more stand back room for insects.
Also a great 90mm prime in that price range.

The longer macros will give more stand back breathing room.
As many times can't quite get to or reach subject close enough for the shorter primes.
Tamron also has a new Tamron 90mm f2.8 wit VC (VR) but it's about $250 more.

How close do i have to get to fill up the frame with a 60mm macro?

The 60mm D is a stout lens, mechanically. I would look for a used one. The 70-300VR-G was on sale from Nikon, refurbished, on Memorial Day weekend, direct from the Nikon Store for $269, so the price listed seems too high to me. I payed $349 for a 70-300VR over a year ago used. Look for better lens pricing...new d-slr body prices are relatively fixed, but the used market has loads of price variability.

For bugs...the 60mm macro is way too short for many types of insects that are skittish. Sure, a lot of spiders will allow a guy to get 1 inch from them, but many other types of tiny critters will not allow such close approach. With a 60mm in macro mode, you are always fighting the lens and camera and camera operator's position--right behind the front of the lens! You can not count upon the FOV factor and think that a 60mm on an APS-C body is "like a 90mm lens"--because it is not...it is still a fairly short macro lens length. I own 55,60,90,100,and 180 mm macros...the shorter ones are great for close-ups of small things like flowers and plants and small-scale nature scapes...things that are like 2,000 times wider than the average insect.

The 60mm D is a stout lens, mechanically. I would look for a used one. The 70-300VR-G was on sale from Nikon, refurbished, on Memorial Day weekend, direct from the Nikon Store for $269, so the price listed seems too high to me. I payed $349 for a 70-300VR over a year ago used. Look for better lens pricing...new d-slr body prices are relatively fixed, but the used market has loads of price variability.

For bugs...the 60mm macro is way too short for many types of insects that are skittish. Sure, a lot of spiders will allow a guy to get 1 inch from them, but many other types of tiny critters will not allow such close approach. With a 60mm in macro mode, you are always fighting the lens and camera and camera operator's position--right behind the front of the lens! You can not count upon the FOV factor and think that a 60mm on an APS-C body is "like a 90mm lens"--because it is not...it is still a fairly short macro lens length. I own 55,60,90,100,and 180 mm macros...the shorter ones are great for close-ups of small things like flowers and plants and small-scale nature scapes...things that are like 2,000 times wider than the average insect.
Im not big on insect photography. I usually take pictures of flowers and the occasional insect on a flower if i find it :p
I also figured out that the 60mm 2.8D is an AF lens and not an AFS lens. Is there are noticeable difference between the two?

Most reactions

Back