New lens baby

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Spark - Lensbaby's Store

So why would anyone want to spend $80 to buy something for you to shoot with your DSLR that produces image quality that is no better than a phone camera? Plus, it's not that photoshop can't do it!

I think lens baby is better off selling apps to mimic those effects, or make iphone lens attachments for that matter.

Perhaps license the effect to instagram and let users pay for the special option.

*** Sorry I meant to post this in the equipment section. My bad.

Last edited:
I have to admit, I don't get it either, but I guess it's as valid as any other artistic aspect of photography. Seems to me sort of like putting a Phase1 back on a Holga!

It's Low-Fi Photography....low-fidelity...it ties in with the Diana/Holga/Lomo movements, which go back decades now. It's about creating a unique image using a camera and lens, not about what can be done with a camera and a computer. It's about using your creative vision at the time of MAKING the photograph, to create a photo that has obviously been manipulated. It has roots more in traditional "silver-based photography" methods than in the newer, and very different, "digital imaging". A lot of people "don't get it", and so obviously, the entire Low-Fi movement utterly escapes them.

I saw that announcement yesterday. I looked at the lensbaby site and thru their galleries. I love the look of the lensbaby shots. Not for every photograph of course, but it does create a sort of surreal photo that would be fun to play around with.

Lensbaby stuff, like anything else (HDR, selective coloring, etc) can be over-done. I've got a buddy who only shoots HDR with a Lens Baby. He's good at it but, geez, it gets old in a hurry...

Yep specialized tastes that may or may not be your cup of tea. Not mine but to each their own. Have used some of the Holga presets in lightroom from time to time for effect. But not generally a need for me for more dedicated equipment in that arena for my needs.

Same can be said for the 10.5mm fisheye seen many mostly of the young for the coolness than a month or six and then seeing them on craigslist next to the lensbabies or in many drawers or closets. If you gotsa the monies why not experiment and then move on. Can only help define your vision and style.

I might not find a particular process like over cooked HDR particularly my taste but do like a natural well balanced one done well. But applying my values to a particular image or process doesn't mean it's any less value of a artistic work from the creators mind.

Most reactions

Back