new lens for my D600

kingo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm an enthusiastic novice. I taught myself to take pictures using an old D100 and recently treated myself to a D600 having become more and more dissatisfied with its limitations... Of course you are all ahead of me. You already have guessed that now I have a beautiful camera, I'm no longer happy with my lenses.

I have a 50mm f1.8 which is great
I have an old Nikon 70-300 F4-5.6 which I can live with and
I have a new but now useless Tamron 17-50 f2.8 as it doesn't handle the full frame sensor

My immediate issue is that ive offered to take pictures at my in-laws part in Aug. All will be outside and the 50mm will do much of the work nicely but I feel the need to have something a bit more flexible.

what should I buy?
very grateful for your views

The 'kit' 24-85 comes to mind.

You can still use your 17-50 in DX mode.

Tamron also makes a 28-75mm f2.8 that is reasonably priced and full-frame.

The 24-85mm kit lens is pretty good for how little it costs. The 24-120 f4 is even better but is more $$

How much are you looking to spend?

The most logical choice would definitely be the 24-85 kit that was (pretty much) made for the D600.

Tamron also makes a 28-75mm f2.8 that is reasonably priced and full-frame.

The 24-85mm kit lens is pretty good for how little it costs. The 24-120 f4 is even better but is more $$

How much are you looking to spend?

i'm not sure. I get that the more spend the better the quality, but I dont know what I need to spend to notice the difference... I love what I'm doing hence I bought the decent body. But I really dont know much about it so I kind of need someone else to tell me what's best!

Eg in what way is the 24-120 f4 even better? would I be able to discern the difference? is it worth me spending more?

Thoughts about Nikon vs generic lenses?
Thank you all

........Eg in what way is the 24-120 f4 even better? would I be able to discern the difference? is it worth me spending more?...........

The 24-85 is a variable max. aperture (3.5 - 4.5), while the 24-120 is a constant f/4. The latter also has a bit more 'reach' (120 as opposed to just 85). It also has a 'more standard' 77mm filter thread instead of the 'not-so-common' 72mm.

I use the kit 24-85mm lens with my D600 and get great results. I also have a 17-35mm f2.8 and 70-200 VR f2.8 but I have found I am not using the older 17-35mm lens much now as I seem to get by for most jobs with the newer kit lens. I have the 50mm lens as well and love using it for close ups and portrait work.

My recommendation would be to go for the kit lens for general wider angle work, group people photos etc and save up for the 70-200 VR 2.8 lens for a brilliant zoom lens for all occasions.

Cheers

Most reactions

New Topics

Back