New Lens Help

arin04

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I am still thinking about my camera upgrade but wanted to dive into the lens upgrade for sure thanks to a lot of others who helped me out. :wink: You know who you are.

Okay so right now I have a nifty fifty and a tamron 17-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II PZD. I am looking for that one L lens that is an all around lens. Budget is around $1,500 right now. I have looked at the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM and f/2.8L II USM[FONT=Aller, Lucida Sans, Segoe UI, Gill Sans, Gill Sans MT, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]. All 3 old and new models of EF 70-200mm f/2.8 and finally the EF 135mm f/2 L USM.

So let the awesome replies begin and you give me your wonderful thoughts and what you think would be best. I have a Canon T3i, just in case you need to know. Also if you have a used Canon lens that you are willing to part with and is in good condition and one that others recommend, I would be happy to hear from you as well.

Thanks[/FONT]

Rather than shopping for a lens that would likely duplicate a portion of the range of your Tamron, such as my favorite, the 24-105 f4L IS, you should first consider what kind of photography you are interested in doing, and then find a lens to fill that requirement. The requirements for macro photography (very close up) or birding/wildlife (long telephoto) are extremely different lenses. Family shots, baby shots, etc would call for still different focal length lenses.

Simply put, determine the need, not the want, and fill that need. You'll save a bunch of money and buy lenses you'll use, rather than needlessly carry around in your bag.

My main focus is portraits right now. Either family events or just walking around in my neighborhood and taking shots of people or particular things that stand out. I'm also trying to get a lens that is versatile just in case I do decide to change things around down the road and not have to invest in one again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I think the 24-105mm F4 L IS, might be a good choice. It's got a nice range and very good quality.

The main issue (for me) would be that 24mm just isn't very wide on a camera like the T3i. Personally, for a walk around lens on a camera like that, I'd prefer something in the 17-18mm range. The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, is a very good lens with image quality that matches up against any L zoom lens. The issue with that, is that it's an EF-S lens, and thus, not compatible with full frame...should you ever decide to upgrade the camera.

Other options that would be, include the 17-40mm F4L and the 16-35mm F2.8 L II. But these lenses don't have much of a range for a good 'walk around' lens.

There are the 17-85mm IS, and the 15-85mm IS, both of which are EF-S and aren't really up to L quality...but make for nice walk around lenses on crop cameras.

I would look at an 85mm f/1.8. It is quite cheap, great quality for the price, and is perfect for portraits. This would also allow you to spend another 1200 on another lens.

I think the 24-105mm F4 L IS, might be a good choice. It's got a nice range and very good quality.

The main issue (for me) would be that 24mm just isn't very wide on a camera like the T3i. Personally, for a walk around lens on a camera like that, I'd prefer something in the 17-18mm range. The EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS, is a very good lens with image quality that matches up against any L zoom lens. The issue with that, is that it's an EF-S lens, and thus, not compatible with full frame...should you ever decide to upgrade the camera.

Other options that would be, include the 17-40mm F4L and the 16-35mm F2.8 L II. But these lenses don't have much of a range for a good 'walk around' lens.

There are the 17-85mm IS, and the 15-85mm IS, both of which are EF-S and aren't really up to L quality...but make for nice walk around lenses on crop cameras.

Is there one that you would recommend that is good for a walk around and portrait lens that can be used on a full frame as well for when I decide to upgrade?

For every one a all round lens is different. Just keep that in mind. First decided what is all round in your eyes !
I use on a Full Frame body a 24-70 II. This is not all round for some people. They want more mm.

A portrait lens is only perfect when you love to work with it and it gives you the creativity. This can be a prime lens (35,50,85,135), UWA (10-22), Standard (17-55), tele lens (70-200) these can be all perfect portrait lenses. But you can only decided witch lenses you like and gives you the creativity you're looking for. Frank Doorhof portrait photographer also likes to shoot with a UWA.

For me personally the 17-55 or 15-85 in combination with a 70-200 will do the job. You can also buy the 17-55 or 15-85 used. So you can resale it without a loss and buy the lens you want for a Full Frame body.

Being Creative and Getting the Shot

Last edited by a moderator:
For every one a all round lens is different. Just keep that in mind. First decided what is all round in your eyes !
I use on a Full Frame body a 24-70 II. This is not all round for some people. They want more mm.

A portrait lens is only perfect when you love to work with it and it gives you the creativity. This can be a prime lens (35,50,85,135), UWA (10-22), Standard (17-55), tele lens (70-200) these can be all perfect portrait lenses. But you can only decided witch lenses you like and gives you the creativity you're looking for. Frank Doorhof portrait photographer also likes to shoot with a UWA.

For me personally the 17-55 or 15-85 in combination with a 70-200 will do the job. You can also buy the 17-55 or 15-85 used. So you can resale it without a loss and buy the lens you want for a Full Frame body.

Being Creative and Getting the Shot

Thanks for the advice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back