New Lens- new direction

Lez325

Wildlife Photographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am a Wildlife Photographer and shoot little else- I have been gifted a new lens ( from the wife)

Sigma 24mm f1.4 ART lens ( Sony FE mount)

It was a bright yet cold morning yesterday I took it out to see how it performed

Here's a shot of a small fishing village some 20 miles from my home - am still finding my way around this genre - so be kind :)

Sony a9 + Sigma 24mm f1.4 ART lens- f10- 1/250th sec ISO 100

@weepete

prqzyZa.jpg

Les :)

Not sure what is to the left of the barn but I think the photo may have been better if you moved your view to the left enough to leave out the little bit of shore on the right.

Looks like a wide angle snap sure enough. Do you have a 50mm lens to do the scene justice?

Not sure what is to the left of the barn but I think the photo may have been better if you moved your view to the left enough to leave out the little bit of shore on the right.
I actually like the bit on the right.

I don't do much landscape either so I can only give my un professional opinion. It looks pretty good, maybe what John Hunt said, maybe just crop out the shore on the right. I can't help but wonder what a shot would look like if it were taken from the same spot but a different time of day with the sun more to your back so the boats would have more light on them from that angle.
Overall I think it's a pretty nice shot and I'm curious to see what some sunrise or sunset shots will look like with that lens.

I agree with peeb - the person standing on the right balances the scene and gives some perspective. Is that a reflection of something you removed in the water bottom right? What is that?

I understand what peeb and squarepeg are saying about the person. My first reaction was to wonder the importance of them there. But as I look at it more, what sticks out to me is that the boats are center in the frame. While I think this composition works, I would also suggest to work the scene and try a composition where the boats are on the right third and the barn is on the left third.

That's pretty good going Les, I like the way you've held the highlights really well here. I also like the composition. I'm quite fond of the small person, big landscape thing, so the incusion of a figure at the point of the harbour is a really nice addition. The mast on the boats give some very nice repeating lines The couple of other boats moored up helps break up the scene and I like the context the cottages gives with that old English roof shape.

well done!

Last edited:
I wish my wife bought me lenses.
Switching mentally from wildlife to landscape ain't the easiest thing.

This is a wonderful shot! Personally, I wouldn't crop anything, because of the small boat on the left. It really all balances out, and I agree that the person on the right really gives some great perspective.

Ok Thanks all - I'll try to answer some points

Its actually a cottage and left of that is a processing plant- not very attractive :)
Looks like a wide angle snap sure enough. Do you have a 50mm lens to do the scene justice?
What? a 50mm would make the image smaller - I don't understand your logic- I do have a Sony 50mm f1.4 G lens - but not good on full frame for images like this
I actually like the bit on the right.
Thank you - Me too gives the image some scale :)
I don't do much landscape either so I can only give my un professional opinion. It looks pretty good, maybe what John Hunt said, maybe just crop out the shore on the right. I can't help but wonder what a shot would look like if it were taken from the same spot but a different time of day with the sun more to your back so the boats would have more light on them from that angle.
Overall I think it's a pretty nice shot and I'm curious to see what some sunrise or sunset shots will look like with that lens.
I'll give that a go Kirk, Time permitting :)
I agree with peeb - the person standing on the right balances the scene and gives some perspective. Is that a reflection of something you removed in the water bottom right? What is that?
Thank you- the item you mention is a mooring buoy- with a pole to attach a flag- should I remove it?
I understand what peeb and squarepeg are saying about the person. My first reaction was to wonder the importance of them there. But as I look at it more, what sticks out to me is that the boats are center in the frame. While I think this composition works, I would also suggest to work the scene and try a composition where the boats are on the right third and the barn is on the left third.
Ok - thank you :)
It looks like something AND its reflection, an attaching post or …
Correct it's a Mooring Buoy with a small ple on top of it :)
I wish my wife bought me lenses.
Switching mentally from wildlife to landscape ain't the easiest thing.
Tell me about it- I don't get this many comments on my wildlife images :)
This is a wonderful shot! Personally, I wouldn't crop anything, because of the small boat on the left. It really all balances out, and I agree that the person on the right really gives some great perspective.

Me too Jeff- that's why I left it in shot :)

Thank you all for the comments

Here's an edit with some of your suggestions

qzX1l83.jpg

I will persevere

Last edited:
I think the clean space in front of the boats enhances the pic a bit and puts more emphasis on the subject, the boats and their reflection. The poles in the water in the bg on the right now lead your eye way out into the distance where the other boats are. Yes, I like this better. Good job.

I think the clean space in front of the boats enhances the pic a bit and puts more emphasis on the subject, the boats and their reflection. The poles in the water in the bg on the right now lead your eye way out into the distance where the other boats are. Yes, I like this better. Good job.
I am the same as you Kirk- I don't usually like to remove things from images- I guess sometimes its a must ?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back