new lens or upgrade to a full-frame camera?

plumeria

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I currently use a D90. Bought it when it first came out so it's a little old. I have a 18-200 f3.5-5.6, 50 f1.8, and a micro-nikkor 105 f2.8. I was thinking about buying a 35mm lens so that I can use indoors to squeeze more into the frame and needing a faster lens than my 18-200. But then being that my camera is older, I may want to upgrade to a better camera that can take quality photos in low light. I was looking into purchasing a d750. Someone also suggested that I may want to purchase a 24-70 2.8...which is a lot more expensive than a 35 1.8. So does anyone have any opinions on what I should purchase first?...a better lens or a new camera? I really can't spend more than $2000 right now.

All things considered, I would get the D750, sell the 18-200, and then go from there.

Your 50mm will be wider on a full frame camera (it will be like a 35mm on your D90). I actually 'survived' with my 50mm, 85mm, and 150-600mm lenses for over a year, without owning anything wider. If you want 35mm right now, by getting the D750 your 50mm will be what you want it to be.

I wouldn't say the 24-70 f2.8 is necessary, but it's nice to have. I would rather have a 24-70 than three primes in a similar range. I think the best advice I can give is make one purchase at a time when you're on a budget.

Alternatively, you could get the D610, which is still a very good camera, save the $500-$700, and put that toward a lens purchase after getting the camera. When I got my D750, the difference was $400 Canadian between the D750 and D610. If the difference was any more than that, I might've considered the D610 instead.

You have 50mm and 105mm, so if you are a 28mm or even 35mm you got a nice cover.
You can get the D750 and when you ready get a 24-70mm 2.8

All things considered, I would get the D750, sell the 18-200, and then go from there.

Your 50mm will be wider on a full frame camera (it will be like a 35mm on your D90). I actually 'survived' with my 50mm, 85mm, and 150-600mm lenses for over a year, without owning anything wider. If you want 35mm right now, by getting the D750 your 50mm will be what you want it to be.

I wouldn't say the 24-70 f2.8 is necessary, but it's nice to have. I would rather have a 24-70 than three primes in a similar range. I think the best advice I can give is make one purchase at a time when you're on a budget.

Alternatively, you could get the D610, which is still a very good camera, save the $500-$700, and put that toward a lens purchase after getting the camera. When I got my D750, the difference was $400 Canadian between the D750 and D610. If the difference was any more than that, I might've considered the D610 instead.

good points and great ideas!

I'd simply buy a fast dx standard, such as the sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS, they go for good prices. If I found my camera was lacking I'd hunt a good second hand or refurbished d7100 or d7200. Full frame is nice, but not everyone needs one

Thank you all for your input! If I went ahead and sold my 18-200mm (or maybe even my d90)...does anyone have any advice on what websites I could sell it on? All I know is ebay, craigslist, FB marketplace....any other places?

you could try selling the lenses on this site too. But most end up on eBay or even selling to a online store such as keh.com, adorama.com, bhphotovideo.com

I shoot FF myself. I used to use a D70, then a D7000, D600 now a D750. The jump to the flexibility of FF was well worth it for me for various situations, but everyone has their own opinion on it.

you could try selling the lenses on this site too. But most end up on eBay or even selling to a online store such as keh.com, adorama.com, bhphotovideo.com

I shoot FF myself. I used to use a D70, then a D7000, D600 now a D750. The jump to the flexibility of FF was well worth it for me for various situations, but everyone has their own opinion on it.

thank you for the sites...will check those out. are you loving your d750? i see that it has wifi capabilities...how does that work exactly?

thank you for the sites...will check those out. are you loving your d750? i see that it has wifi capabilities...how does that work exactly?
Just got the d750. It's okay right now, trying to get past a few issues which looks like the exposure is over exposed during a Continuous High burst. Odd. probably just some setting. I've only used it 3 times, so a good breaking in period is needed.

Wifi - lets you connect it to a network, or directly to you iPhone/device. Then you can selectively download images (though the images are NOT the full sized images, and are much smaller). The images are "optimized" for social media such as 320k and not 15mb Fine Large files.

I feel very confident with the D750 when it comes to exposure. I typically use the highlight weigthed one, though sometimes I of course prefer spot, as with any other camera. Which, yes, overblows part of the image, but thats the idea.

WiFi that doesnt download full quality isnt of interest to me, because automatic backup would be my prime concern for this. Though I would still be interested in remote control. From what I've seen, thats poor with the D750, too, though. So whatever.

The Wifi lets you take a picture with your device, but you cannot control aperture, shutter, iso, etc.

The Wifi's initial idea was probably to get the image to Social Media as quickly as possible. And that it handles well for the speed as it's a small file.

I wasn't getting the over exposure on my D600 on CH, but on the D750 I am. So comparing apples to apples I need to figure it out. After it happened twice I use exposure compensation dialed down a bit. But still, I'm curious and I'm going to double check my d600 settings to the d750 and test again.

now a D750.
Didn't know you got a D750, nice, congrats :)
It was an "oops" purchase.
==> Lens Mount - any way to fix ?
Ooops indeed, sorry to hear about the deceased D600 but glad you got the D750.
Once you get to familiarised yourself with the D750 I would love to hear how you like it and how it compares to the D600.
Is the AF better ?
How is the low light performance difference ?
I've only used it once so far for a soccer funny pics shoot.
waiting to hear back from NikonUSA if they want me to send in the d600 for review.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back