New lens question

Dave127

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I’m looking for a new lens for outdoor sports shots. I see that Canon has the EF 100-400 F 4.5-5.6L IS on sale and wanted to know what you think. I have a 70-200 F2.8 IS for indoor, and wasn’t sure if the F4.5 would stop the action due to better lighting and could use a faster shutter speed. Any suggestions?

Thanks Dave

The answer is simple...

One has a faster aperture but tends to be too short.
The other has the longer focal range but doesn't have the fast aperture
Both have good IQ.

Which is important to you?

For my purposes I chose 100-400L over the 70-200L (I owned both). The range was far more effective than the fast aperture...

For others that shoot in dim stadiums, the 70-200 might be a better option.

It's really down to the venue as to which lens is best suited. For day games in a ballpark, the slower aperature is usable. In dimmer situations it is fine as long as the ISO is high enough. I shoot wildlife mostly, and at f/5.6 I normally get anywhere between 1/500-1/800 at ISO 200. Anything more than ISO 800 gets grainy and niosy. The f/2.8 is preferred. For reach and speed, most "pros" prefer the 300 or 400mm f/2.8. Cost an arm and a leg though. Try renting a 100-400 and see how it does.

The answer is simple...

One has a faster aperture but tends to be too short.
The other has the longer focal range but doesn't have the fast aperture
Both have good IQ.

Which is important to you?

For my purposes I chose 100-400L over the 70-200L (I owned both). The range was far more effective than the fast aperture...

For others that shoot in dim stadiums, the 70-200 might be a better option.

Thanks for the reply. I already have and shoot with the 70-200. I'm looking to purchase another lens for out door sports and wanted to know if the 100-400 F4.5 is as good or comparable. The 70-200 doesn't let me get in as close as I would like. My concurn is that he 100-400 has a slower apature but does have the reach. But the quicker apature may not be a problem due to better lighting.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back