New Lense Suggestions for a beginner Canon rebel owner? :)

sakorarox07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all!

Well my birthday is coming up...so I was thinking bout asking for a new lense from the family! :)

Im VERY MUCH a beginner, but Im learning slowly but surely :)

I currently have a Canon Rebel Xs ( I know..I suck :p but thats all I had in my budget as a poor university student :( )

and I have the 2 lenses that came with the camera:

IS lenses: EF-S 18-55IS (model #2042B002) and EF-S 55-250IS (model #2044B002)

I REALLY love the55-250 one, but it can get a little annoying sometimes cause you have to be a certain distance away to take the pic...but I dont really mind. I love the lense :)

Anywho.... I use my camera mostly for food photography, but I also use it (obviously) on trips and vacations and such. So ...any recomendations for lenses?

As this is a birthday present...it cant be overly expensive, and since Im fairly new to this and have an XS.... I really dont need anything too fancy...but I dont want something that is total crap either....

Thanks a lot for any help! :)

dxqcanada

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Why do you want a third lens ?

You really have not described what you want the lens to do for you ... that your current lenses do not.

Tell us.

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I agree, you need to define your needs before anyone can recommend something.

And by the way, you camera (nor you) suck because its a Rebel XT. That is still a very capable camera.

Derrick

frXnz kafka

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What exactly is it that you don't like about your 2 lenses? You say you have to be a certain distance away with the 55-200, but that it solved by having the 18-55. So there must be some other reason you're wanting to upgrade.

Overread

has a hat around here somewhere
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
overread.wordpress.com
Photos OK to edit
I guess the 55-200mm has a long minium focusing distance - and if your taking shots of things like food you are having to stand back a lot more than you desire.
If food photography is an interest have you considered a macro lens?

Montana

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ahh...good reading overread. I was thinking focal length and field of view, not minimum focusing distance. Now it makes sense, a macro would be your best bet. I would suggest something in the 50-60mm range. I think the 100mm would be too long.

Derrick

Overread

has a hat around here somewhere
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
overread.wordpress.com
Photos OK to edit
for food I would say a canon 60mm or sigma 70mm would be ideal (the canon 50mm is not a proper macro lens and to make it one needs an adaptor = at which point you might as well get a better pure macro for the cost!)

however a 90mm or greater would be more expandable into other areas, like insect macro, It does depend on what the OP's needs and wants are

AlexColeman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
I would say that he should get a 24-70 L, it is not an overly expensive birthday gift. ;)

JustAnEngineer

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Price-wise, you don't save a whole lot by getting something less than the excellent EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM (which is under $500). The EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM is only $90 less. A used Sigma 105 appears to be about the only really cheap (<$250) macro lens around. The reviews say that the Sigma lens doesn't auto-focus well, but you're likely to be using manual focusing for macro shots, anyway.

Last edited:
OP
S

sakorarox07

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
thanks for all the suggestion, and as for what type of lense I want,I mentioned what I usually use the camera for. I'm not looking persay to upgrade because im not happy with the lense, its just a matter of expanding my now very limited collection of lenses...:)

Most reactions

New Topics