New Mac Book Pro: What programs?

How cool...you can also mirror your Mac Book Pro to your TV using Apple TV!! This is way cool! Anyone use this as a larger screen for editing photos?

OIC, Thanks.

I wonder if I can talk one of my neighbors into using their University status to help a guy out on some CS software...hum.

You can get it on the cloud for like $20 a month now.

Wich is better, $20 a month or a student copy for $335.00?

Well, if you're a student I would say get that. But that's just me. I know Adobe went cloud-based but I wanted to avoid that as long as I could. I bought LR4 & CS6, then upgraded to LR5 when it came out a week later (D'oh!).
I like owning my own software (Although one never really owns the software. Read the license agreements) instead of having to worry about having an internet connection.

I'm sure Adobe allows one to work off-line but you just know when you're at the cabin or your net is down for some reason, that will be the day the software wants to call home to verify the serial number or some such twaddle, and will refuse to run until it is able to do so.

Just a few I use regularly:

Firefox
Fetch (for S/FTP)
TextWrangler (the bomb for text editing or programming)
Lightroom and/or Aperture (I have both, wanted to compare)
Burn (if you still do that kind of thing)
Disk Inventory X (great for analyzing your disk space)
Dropbox (my flavor of cloud storage)
Gimp
Your choice of office suite (I personally use MSO even though I hate MS but also have iWork and OpenOffice)
mSecure (my flavor of password vault)
MS RDC (if you remote into any MS boxes for work or home)
VirtualBox by Oracle (if you wish to run any virtual machines from your MBP)
Smart Converter Pro (convert video from your DV-cam to any format you wish)
iShowU (good screen capture app for producing instructional/training videos, etc.)
iTerm (great terminal emulator app, though you can also use the native "Terminal" app)
Keyboard Maestro (for any keystroke macros you may wish)

Last edited:
Check out Pixelmator, does most of what PS does at a fraction of the price.

Yea I heard the same thing then I got pixel actor and found out it only did a fraction of thing things photoshop will do.

Firefox
Fetch (for S/FTP)
Gimp
Your choice of office suite (I personally use MSO even though I hate MS but also have iWork and OpenOffice)
iShowU (good screen capture app for producing instructional/training videos, etc.)
iTerm (great terminal emulator app, though you can also use the native "Terminal" app)

Nice, I'll have to check some of that stuff out for sure!

Well, I'm seriously considering going with LR5 and Gimp for my photo processing software.

Firefox
Fetch (for S/FTP)
Gimp

Nice, I'll have to check some of that stuff out for sure!

Well, I'm seriously considering going with LR5 and Gimp for my photo processing software.
Good combo.

Let me know via PM if you run into questions. I've been a Machead for quite a while and a few years ago challenged my department to convert the office entirely (workstation wise). About 120 down, 30 to go. :)

I have Aperture on my Mac but I rarely use it as I find that iPhoto's editing features are sufficient and are so easy to use.

If I need more I'll use CS6 Photoshop. I prefer to do the minimum editing - You can't polish a turd.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back