New Mac?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
holy cow, apple's Mac Pro is looking super expensive and i'm vering toward an iMac...BUT i dunno if it's gonna be worth it? Can you guys tell me what you're working on and if you feel shelling out the extra coin for an expandable computer is worth it? Mac haters stay out please.

depends on what your intent of usage is. I have a 20" 2.4 gHZ iMac with 4GB RAM and it works amazing for what I do - which is edit 50-100MB TIFF files. I don't usually do much larger, but even a 200MB TIFF composite is pretty comfy.
if you're doing video or digital MF, the Mac Pro might work better, but I really can't say for sure. the computer I have now is the most power I've had in a Mac, and it's pretty hard to complain about.

The Mac Pro seems to be made for high end video, 3d, and motion graphics these days. Like TV network or movie graphics. If you're just processing photos or doing still graphic design (print or tee shirt logos for example) then an iMac would be plenty of power.

One other thing to consider: The iMacs have a glossy screen. This means reflections, and in my experience a less-than-accurate display even after calibration. You could certainly add an external display to it though (and still save over a grand).

GREAT REASPONCES! thanks guys. yes, i dont' get into much animation any more. I'll play with flash sometimes, but that's only on certain occasions. I'm more worried about paging through InDesign documents or juggling between InDesign/Photoshop and Illustrator. I might go check out the local apple store and see what's up

I'm more worried about paging through InDesign documents or juggling between InDesign/Photoshop and Illustrator. I might go check out the local apple store and see what's up

That won't be an issue if you've got enough RAM. My coworkers on iMacs (I have a Mac Pro here) generally have Photoshop and Illustrator, along with a minimum of 3 other ram hogging programs open at the same time and don't complain.

One other thing to consider: The iMacs have a glossy screen. This means reflections, and in my experience a less-than-accurate display even after calibration. You could certainly add an external display to it though (and still save over a grand).

The glossy screen is an option.

I was a PC user for the last 10 years and about a year ago sold everything and purchased an iMac 20". It is a great computer, and just "works"! With the price of memory so cheap I'd go with 4gigs. I also have a 24" external monitor hooked up so I run dual screens and the main monitor is the 24".

The glossy screen is an option.

Not on imacs... I wish it were, I hate it. My coworker's computer looks like a mirror if he's working on a logo that's black.

Last edited:
that's really only an issue if you're facing direct light, or are outside. I have mine facing away from the windows, and the colour fidelity is dead on.

If you don't mind buying from a apple authorized reseller you could grab a NEW
previous gen MBP (the ones that just were discontinued) for under $1500 with 2gigs ram, 200GB HDD, 256 GPU, Matte screen - cheaper if you don't mind glossy. They have different configurations also
here
I personally don't own any apples yet but am saving up for one

My bad :blushing:

Last edited:
If you don't mind buying from a apple authorized reseller you could grab a NEW
previous gen MBP (the ones that just were discontinued) for under $1500 with 2gigs ram, 200GB HDD, 256 GPU, Matte screen - cheaper if you don't mind glossy. They have different configurations also
here
I personally don't own any apples yet but am saving up for one

you know that's a link to laptops, not imacs?

I'm replacing my 20" Intel Core Duo iMac with a 24" new version, gloss screen be damned. I need the processing power, lightroom and PS combined are killing me..stupid 2gb ram limit...

But if you want portable, go with Macbook and External Screen. Otherwise get the iMac. It's a great display on the 24", some say even better than the brand new LED display they made.

Most reactions

Back