New Mac?

Not on imacs... I wish it were, I hate it. My coworker's computer looks like a mirror if he's working on a logo that's black.

Hrmm... OK, well it WAS an option 4 months ago since I have one I bought then sitting in front of me... I guess they removed that though.

Bummer.

holy cow, apple's Mac Pro is looking super expensive and i'm vering toward an iMac...BUT i dunno if it's gonna be worth it? Can you guys tell me what you're working on and if you feel shelling out the extra coin for an expandable computer is worth it? Mac haters stay out please.

I started with a Mac Mini and found it to be very slow. I couldn't really justify the excessive cost of the Pro machines, and have a thing about "all-in-one" computers where the monitor and computer are one unit so the iMac was out. In other words, Apple didn't have a basic workstation that would work for me.

I built a machine for about $400 worth of parts from Newegg.com about a year or so ago, and put Ubuntu Linux on it. I use Gimp in lieu of Photoshop and it's getting the job done. The machine is very fast, too.

It's an option to consider if Apple doesn't seem to be selling any products that are aimed at your needs. Good luck.

I started with a Mac Mini and found it to be very slow.

Yeah, the Mac Mini is pretty much just good for web surfing and other basic stuff. It's a waste of cash IMO. I can understand what you're saying about Apple's lack of basic computer. Luckily for me, my current monitor sucks so an iMac would be fine for me.

I'm running a black macbook (now its the aluminum and glass model) 2.4ghz with 8gb of ram. I run Photoshop and AutoCAD at the same time in different spaces with constant switching and rendering. I've never had any kind of problem with overheating or hangups. I'm really glad I chose to use a mac for my drafting. My friend has MBP, but I just feel like its too clunky. Macs are a great way to go with fairly low memory consumption.

Not to jack this thread into a glossy vs matte, but with my Mac Book (My first mac & my first glossy screen) I will never by a matte monitor again... I am no pro and don't do any professional editing... but my 13" 1280x800 glossy screen on the MB blows away my 22" 1680x1050 matte 3000 brightness 2500:1 Contrast Ratio... The glossy adds soo much more depth and richness and color to images and video. Even when I'm outside with the sun shining against my monitor it looks fine.... dark from the monitor not being bright enough but usable and as long as its not direct sunlight you can totally use it outside just fine...

Like I said though I'm a noob and don't do anything professional... but for my amateur purposes I love the glossy

I run a Mac Pro at work and have seriously researched a Mac for home. Adobe and Mac have actually worked together on the latest iMacs, any Adobe product will run on them very well indeed, Adobe are concentrating on writing software for the Intel chips in the iMac. When I do finally get a Mac at home it will be an iMac.

For the moment though, I will admit to taking advantage of the black Friday sales and buying a new PC for home, dual core processor and 4Gb Ram and Photoshop CS3 opens in 4 seconds!

I love the new Mac's. If I had the extra coin I would be using a Mac pro desktop with a large mac monitor. However I have spent all of my money on lenses and lights so I bought a Toshiba 17inch laptop with 4gigs of ram and a decent sized hard drive. My desktop is built by me. 22inch Samsung monitor, 4gig of ram,Xp... Color calibrated both, and running CS3 on both.

...what? Mine's a 20" core 2 duo with 4 gigs...

Yeah, you have the 64bit core 2 duo, I have the core duo. :( I bought it like 2 months before the core 2 duo came about.

I'm running a black macbook (now its the aluminum and glass model) 2.4ghz with 8gb of ram.

8GB of ram in a macbook...I think you have that wrong.

Aluminum Macbook
Memory 2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500); supports up to 4GB

On the black macbook, the limit is 3GB of ram in the Core 2 Duo machines.

Last edited:
Have you checked the new Macbook Pro? That is what I am using, and runs CS4 without a sweat. It is a good choice in my opinion, glossy screen or not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back