New Macro Lens - C&C Please :-)

jackiex_x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

First day having a play with my Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Lens and just wondering what you think, these are some of the best, I know they're not amazing but I'm please for my first time.

IMG_2670.jpg

IMG_2666.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

thanks ;)

Hello Jacquelyn....

Most of us here feel that WaterMarks like yours are very distracting and totally unnecessary here... no one is going to steal your photos. You would do better posting here without it! :)

Your flower shots are badly underexposed. For instance, the middle shot.. I had to increase the brightness slider up the scale 98 points.... and that gave highlights in the 250 range (where they should be)! I suspect you are on an uncalibrated monitor, that has the brightness turned up way to high.

IMG_2666.jpg

Yours
IMG_2666.jpg

Focus seems to be good. I see you cranked up the DoF. With macro you should practice using different DoF to change the focus point(s) of the image.
Compositionally they are weak. The last two seem to be under-exposed.

Most of us here feel that WaterMarks like yours are very distracting and totally unnecessary here... no one is going to steal your photos. You would do better posting here without it! :)
Thanks for the comments. I don't watermark because I'm afraid anyone is going to steal my photos, I just like the way it looks :)

The copyright spoils it, I never bother.

For a first go they are fine, you will learn just what the lens is capable of though.

Thanks for the comments. I don't watermark because I'm afraid anyone is going to steal my photos, I just like the way it looks :)

Whatever...

^how can you see that i "cranked up the DoF"?

When shooting close to your subject the DoF becomes more evident.
Looking at your first shot I would expect that there would be more "out of focusness" if you were shooting at f/2.8.

What was the aperture set to on these three ?

^how can you see that i "cranked up the DoF"?

When shooting close to your subject the DoF becomes more evident.
Looking at your first shot I would expect that there would be more "out of focusness" if you were shooting at f/2.8.

What was the aperture set to on these three ?

I expect that's something experience brings you, I think it's clever you can tell. I'm not sure on the apperture off-hand. I was just experimenting and doing what looked right at the time.

Thanks guys for the constructive criticisms, I will use it and improve :)

Welcome to the world of macro. You look to be off to a good start. The lens that you have is the one that my wife has and she really likes it.

Your flower shots would have benefited from the use of fill flash. I took these shots yesterday at the Cleveland Botanical Gardens to show a before and after effect of the use of fill flash. Done properly you can not tell that a flash was used. In these shots a twin head flash was used, but similar results can be obtained with a single hot shoe flash in a bracket with a diffuser. Identical PP was done on these shots, which was de-noise and sharpening. All were handheld.

I hope I have been helpful.

1. No flash.
_MG_10610.jpg

2. Fill flash.
_MG_10620.jpg

3. No flash.
_MG_10690.jpg

4. Fill flash.
_MG_10680.jpg

Most reactions

Back