New member/photographer questions

jinx703x

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off, I'm a total beginner. I took photography 14 years ago in highschool but most of that knowledge is lost. Im looking for advise (that's probably been given before) on where to start. I don't want to purchase a camera and out grow it in a year and missing some features that might be nice to have or overspend on a camera that's more than I'll ever need.

Initially I'll be doing the traditional portrait's, city/architecture stuff but primarily I'll be photographing local musicians in bars.

So, where to start? I've used nikons years so I'm looking at their line up. I've got a budget of about $1,000 to get going. Where would you start? What things do I need to know/what do I need for low light bar photography?

Thanks in advance
jinx

I'd consider a used Nikon with a couple of good lenses, a good strobe light, tripod, spare batteries and memory cards. Also you need to process the pictures so consider the Photoshop/Lightroom $9.99/month deal as a start.
All of that says the camera and lenses will the biggest cost ($600-700??)with the body and the lenses each being half that cost.
I haven't researched current used prices and availability but perhaps the D3200, D5200 with appropriate lenses?

Photographing musicians in bars screams low light conditions, and in order to get good pictures, you'll need a very recent camera that performs well under low light conditions. I don't know how APS-C cameras can do under such conditions, but I do know that full frame cameras are far ahead of the game in this respect. Unfortunately, you won't find any FF cameras under 1000$, and this is without any lenses. Fast glass (f/1.8, f/2, f/2.8) would be nice for low light conditions too, but once again, those lenses ain't cheap, aside maybe the standard 50mm f/1.8.

If you stay in the Nikon's DX bodies, the choice of available lenses is not that great. Your main needs, portrait and city/architecture, will call for some different lenses, most likely a wide-angle zoom, and a short telephoto. If you go with an FX body, then you'll have plenty of choice for lenses, but it will be twice, if not 3 times, your budget.

Let's see what others will propose, but maybe a Nikon D610 with a 50mm f/1.8 (about 1700$) lens could be enough to get back into photography. You could add more lenses later on as needs arise or when you have some spare money.

If you're shooting musicians in dark bars, I'd try your best to go full-frame right from the off. The low light performance alone will be worth it. You might not find one for 1000, but if you can wait a while and save another 500, I'd try to find a second hand D610/D750/D800 and a fast prime like a 50mm or 85mm f/1.8

If a FX body isn't in the budget what would be another option? $1,500 up front plus glass is a little rich for my blood. Maybe down the line as I get more into it/experienced/committed.

I'm not sure now, and I'm a little behind on the latest cropped sensor DSLRs. At the weekend, my previous love for my cropped sensor D300s pretty much died. I was shooting a friend's band in a small dark basement of a pub and was using my Nikon D810 as my main camera and my D300s as a back up. The D300s's shots at ISO 6400 were unusable (it was a last minute favour and I had no flash with me, so exposed using the stage lights), yet at ISO 12,800 on the D810, they were more or less clean.

I was so close to just leaving the D300s on the bar for someone to pick up!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back