new member, some pics

jwsciontc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys whats goin on. My names Jake, im from trumbull, CT. and currently a freshman at springfield college. Cars is my main hobby but i have jsut recently gotten into photography, i have always wanted to and finally got a decent camera for graduation. i am by no means new to forums, im a member of 4 scion tc forums. Anyways thats my intro, here are some of my favorite pics i have taken so far. I have a Canon PowerSHot IS S5 but am looking to upgrade to a dslr within the year
060-5.jpg

053-3.jpg

038-4.jpg

014-11.jpg

036-2.jpg

113.jpg

169.jpg
i am jsut getting familiar with terms of photography and everything so i am apologize for any noobish questions in advance

this is me hahaha
14750.jpg

let me know how they are!!

Hi Jake, welcome to TPF. Nice set of photos, a lot of potential. I like the car ones (esp. no. 2), although you need to watch that your skies aren't burnt out and in the second one there's a massive hotspot on the car. I'm not normally that much of a fan of flower photos but I do like your first one, with the flowers in a line like that, it's more original than a lot of photos I see.

yeah thanks for the compliments!! im just learning everything, and i just did notice that huge glare on the side, kinda blinding now that i see it

welcome to the forums jake.
trumbull huh?....i grew up in redding and played hockey for barlow...small world. :D

pics look good man...keep shooting and keep sharing!

thats cool, i played hockey for trumbull high all 4 years and am now playin up here.

anyone else have opinions?? i know they arent that good but i would appreciate comments good or bad about whats good or what i need to work on!!

Not bad. I would avoid the flare a bit (but milder flare can add to the photo) in the second car pic and I would not cut off the edges of the 2nd flower pic and would slightly offset it's composition to make it more interesting.

Great photos man. I like them all. Now u just need that slr...lol Although the canon u have there is a great slr like.

i like that third one and the last one :) (not the one of you) lol
the composition is the best in those two out of all of them

yeah it is a great camera to learn on no doubt but the lack of lense changing is getting to me.

As of now i have my eye on the nikon d60 with a 55-200mm lense for a christmas present :D

I would like to see number four with a tighter crop, and number seven would be my favorite.

did some minor work to it

before:

2890768554_69ea86c253.jpg

after:

2890760014_20102274c8.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to the forums.

First some general tips...

1. Try to post a max of 2-3 pictures per thread. Ideally 1. :) Makes it easier to focus on a specific subject.
2. Try to space them out a bit and number them- makes it easier to talk about them and clearer to see where they are different. It's just hard to look at them all rammed together.
3. It also helps if you can tell us what kind of info or critique you are looking for... not mandatory, but helpful if you have it.

Now onto the pics...

1. Nice car. :) Compositionally, this unfortunately looks like it was a mistake. The objects that would be the subject (potentially, anyway), are both kind of cut off and neither are in any place to dominate your attention. You wind up feeling like your eyes are being pulled in either direction. The sky is also washed out, which is unfortunate. Try to keep the sun to your back(ish) when possible. Helps to get nice bright blue skies... though in this case, I think your sky was just overcast... overcast light is great for pictures, but you want to try to minimize the amount of sky in your shot in those cases. Also... watch your angles. The ground and the pole on this are tilted to the left.

2. Kinda neat. I might have maybe stepped left a hair and turned the camera in towards the car just a bit more... maybe not cropped the top quite so closely... still, neat.

3. This is unfortunate... this would have been a great shot, I think but you absolutely dead-centered it. Centered horizon, centered boat. It's a common thing people do, don't worry about it... look up "the rule of thirds" and it will give you some ideas to lend some more compositional interest to your shot. You may actually still be able to crop this one and have it work. The colors are kinda nice.

4. Looks like you may have oversaturated the pinks on this one. They look... off. Maybe even off a bit on the color balance. The shot doesn't do much for me, but generally flower pics bore me to tears so I'm a bad judge.

5. Probably your best shot- I think I might have tried to not crop the top off the flower so much, but the color is nice, the depth of field is nice, the exposure is nice. It's a good shot.

6. Sunset really just didn't work for me. I think the lines in the shot are too up/down left/right... in fact, my eyes keep tricking me into thinking the shoreline is the top bar in a fence (those posts being rails). The colors are nice, however. Shots like these need some kind out interest in them... an outline of people, interesting backdrop of buildings, birds, etc. otherwise they're just nicely colored absence of content, unfortunately.

7. Pretty pink sky, nice color. Moody shot. Pretty cool. I would crop out maybe 1/3 on the right and trim 1/5th off the bottom... something like that. Also looks like you may have missed your focus a bit--- low light and far off... always use manual focus and focus to inifinity on your lens. Makes a big difference.

Hope this helps.

Please don't post so many images next time. >phew< :lol:

Just for fun I tried the crop I suggested for your last image.

(I also boosted sharpness, contrast and saturation a touch)

169.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back