lxr184

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I found this forum few days ago and it looks like a great place to learn and share infromation so I finally joined. I am just a beginner but I am pretty serious about this. I've been doing some research, reading, etc. I also decided on the camera and the first lens. My plan is to go with Canon 5D MarkII and a 24-105 f4 L lens. Some threads adviced against going with something of this caliber since I am only learning, but I really don't want to buy and sell cameras and lenses and constantly upgrade. Becides, I know that eventually I would want to go full frame since I am mostly interested in landscapes, portraits, and macro so I don't want to invest any money in APS size camera and glass.
Quick question. Looks like the Mk2 was released almost a year ago. How long is the product lifecycle for this model. I would hate to go with Mk2 if the Mk3 will be out in 6 month, or if the price is about to drop. It is a big sum of money after all so I don't want to spend more than I have to. Most places still list it for 2700 or 3500 for a kit with the lense I want.

The 5D was announced back in August of 2005 and the 5D Mk II was announced in September 2008 so this particular line had a 3 year timespan between bodies.

Canon usually has a 18 month timespan between other bodies although the 50D (August 2008) was released just 1 year after the 40D (August 2007) and it looks like the 60D will be released sometime this fall.

I honestly don't believe we'll see a 5D Mk III released any time soon. Maybe in the fall of 2010 but more likely in 2011.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back