New, Need advice about copywrite issues with client

"right-click-> save" is a function available on all computers AFAIK
Easily disabled

My only input is that even if you disable right click, there is a way around it. You need a script to disable the right click. EVERY browser has an option to turn off all scripts running on any website. It's a security measure to prevent potential viruses from running. The majority of people probably don't use the feature, but it's available. There is no way to stop people who are determined to get something from your site. There is also a little program called Camtasia (I think I spelled that right) or the PrntScrn button that will let me do the same thing.

As someone else states, make sure that you put your copyright in the metadata so that it comes up on Facebook when uploaded. Also, I would politely email the person and remind them of the agreement. Request that they remove the photos that violate the agreement. If they do not, follow up with a cease and desist letter, and follow that up with a call to a lawyer. You did good by spelling all of this out in the initial contract, so you have all of the power in this situation.

The only downside would be the bad publicity that this person will give you. She surely will disparage you to everyone she knows and spin the story to make herself the victim. However, the damage being done by people seeing your work butchered by their editing is surely doing you more harm.

The key is to be polite. Take everything in steps. She may understand and comply right away. If not, increase the intensity of your request/demand.

Thank you (almost) everyone for your input! I really appreciate it. Unfortunately when I very politely told her that she needed to take the photo down, and tag/link the rest of them, she got extremely defensive. She stated "she did not know it was wrong and would upset me", and that "she just wanted a little variety". Although she has already received 3 variations of that exact photo. SO, that being said, fortunately for me my contract states that "any misuse as outline in the contract will result in a $300.00 per image/use penatly". I have proof of her editing my image, and although she has told me she has taken it down, I do not take image theft and manipulation lightly. I will be mailing her a bill, that if not paid promptly will result in a cease and desist order. I had an image stolen from my page about 2 years ago of my son, that was passed off as another's work, since then, I am VERY strict with my copyright. And even my family has had tough times printing my photos without permission, thanks to the lovely embedded exif data. :) Thank you all again, I really appreciate your help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back