New Nikon 40mm DX Macro lens

From Cnet..

"Adding to its lineup of basic lenses for DX shooters, Nikon unveiled a $279.95 40mm f2.8 macro (which Nikon refers to as "Micro") lens, the AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G.

Taking into account the APS-C magnification factor, the lens has the same effective angle of view as a 60mm lens on a full-frame camera. Other key specs include the ability to focus as close as 6.4 inches and a 7-blade iris. It uses Nikon's version of a quiet focusing motor so it should be good for shooting video as well.

It lines up next to the cheaper 35mm f1.8 (about 52.5mm equivalent) in Nikon's lens lineup, which is cheaper, but which can't focus as closely. It sounds like a nice addition, especially for small product photography, such as jewelry.

The AF-S DX Micro-NIKKOR 40mm f/2.8G is slated to ship in August."

Hmm I've a 35mm macro lens and at 1:1 its working distance is very short, I wonder how the 5mm difference to 40mm affects this in the working real world (baring in mind many short focal length macro lenses have the front element recessed into the lens housing rather than rubbing flush closer to the rim of the lens)

Hmm I've a 35mm macro lens and at 1:1 its working distance is very short, I wonder how the 5mm difference to 40mm affects this in the working real world (baring in mind many short focal length macro lenses have the front element recessed into the lens housing rather than rubbing flush closer to the rim of the lens)

" It uses an internal focus system with close-range correction to attain a minimum focus distance of just 16cm / 6.4", equating to approximately 5cm / 2" from the front of the lens."

Aye but the front of the lens could mean from the front of the glass or from the front of the rim - that can mean a 0.5cm or so difference which is fairly big with these numbers. The Tokina 35mm does have a working distance of around 4cms - but that is cut down a little by its deep rim (a good thing though in some ways as it does help prevent accidental bumping of the front element without the hood attached)

Most reactions

Back