New NPS Member

I was a CPS member for 20 years, until they changed over their system to where professionals were charged to be members, offering different levels of service for more money. Because I was using some gear that was older than 2 years I was no longer considered a professional, inspite of having 2 eos 1D bodies, a 400 2.8, 300 2.8 and a 70-200 2.8. The object of remaining or being eligible was that Canon wanted professional photographers to buy and upgrade new gear every couple of years, regardless if they were still using gear that didn't need to be upgraded, it simply became a cash grab for them.

Last edited:
Just joined NPS, what are the benefits you have experienced? Anything I should be aware of?

i didn't realize you had made the jump to full time photographer from weekend and seasonal photographer. congrats!
not sure who else on the forum is a NPS member. I don't hear it mentioned very often. you will have to let us know how you like their services, how often you use their services, how responsive they are, etc etc.

For most professionals being a member of NPS or CPS really means very little and feeling like they have to make a grad announcement about it says a lot.. Having gear repaired quicker, access to a loan pool for gear, and having pro prices on buying new gear are the important elements and they do come in handy.
I am in it for the loan pool! Obama was my sponsor.

If you are concerned about a persons eligibility then don't go on a witch-hunt - simply contact the organisation and provide your evidence for such to them and let their own internal setup deal with the matter. The forums are not the place for this.

Ah yes it's a witch-hunt as soon as the facts and truths are pointed out.

Lets not turn this into a bashing thread. It will only end in an argument and a locked thread. The ignore button is a wonderful forum feature. More people should use it.

So... it looks like you don't have to be a full time pro to be in NPS or CPS, you just need someone to tell a little lie. Is that right? It's a bit weird when you can easily prove that you are a full time pro, send hundreds of your images in print, and show that you spend thousands of dollars every year on their equipment, but can't be admitted to membership because you don't know the right people.

I'm pretty sure all the comments that could possibly ever be said have been said, so this thread is over? Oh ya. forgot to add a sarcastic smiling face.

I had a friend jump ship to Canon after he had like seven or eight different issues with NPS. They just couldn't get anything right for him. CPS on the other hand seems to be phenomenal. My old boss was friends with a rep, so we'd always have the latest and greatest to play with.

Have your people call my people.

Just joined NPS, what are the benefits you have experienced? Anything I should be aware of?

i didn't realize you had made the jump to full time photographer from weekend and seasonal photographer. congrats!
not sure who else on the forum is a NPS member. I don't hear it mentioned very often. you will have to let us know how you like their services, how often you use their services, how responsive they are, etc etc.

For most professionals being a member of NPS or CPS really means very little and feeling like they have to make a grad announcement about it says a lot.. Having gear repaired quicker, access to a loan pool for gear, and having pro prices on buying new gear are the important elements and they do come in handy.

I didnt brag that I joined I just wanted to know if anyone else was a member. Thanks for turning things around n putting words in my mouth.

Having the gear and a sponsor are a big help. I have also provided tear sheets. I also work for an agency. Being a full time pro(only job) is not what they are looking for. If you have tear sheets that go into publications that is good enough.

So much jealousy with this post, all I asked is anyone else a member and what are the benefits other that what I mentioned.

I am a member of the Canon side. (CPS) The service is amazing. They clean all of my lenses and cameras. I can evaluate (rent) any gear that I want for free. I just have to pay for return shipping. I have had almost every lens that I could ever want in my hands. Downside.....then you want to buy the lenses. There is a bunch of other perks too.

Nikon is free, Canon isnt

Having the gear and a sponsor are a big help. I have also provided tear sheets. I also work for an agency. Being a full time pro(only job) is not what they are looking for. If you have tear sheets that go into publications that is good enough.

So much jealousy with this post, all I asked is anyone else a member and what are the benefits other that what I mentioned.

Not that I would even remotely qualify... But just out of curiosity, what are tear sheets, and when you present them, what criteria are they looking for? Also, what does the sponsor do? Are they a voucher for work quality? Or more like a character witness?

Tear sheats are proof of being published online, magazine etc... When my images are sold I take a screen shot. I can also call my companies office for records.

The sponsor is someone who is in good standing with NPS. My sponsor is very high up with Nikon.

Most reactions

Back