New Orleans, French Quarter C&C please.

Geaux

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Sup guys, went out with the wife to the Quarters today to do some shooting. What a blast! I can't wait to go back and do some more. I'm pretty satisfied for the way the shots came out, granted, they weren't done at sunset. I think some of my issues are with my PP b/c I'm doing them in iPhoto. (Haven't gotten PS for the Mac yet, even though I'm used to that program more than iPhoto) Any CC on the photos themself or my PP is greatly appreciated. :p

4471634550_44dfaf9781_o.jpg

4471634044_0cb9629cd8_o.jpg

4471633374_0607f7d436_o.jpg

4. I'm really upset that I clipped the Horse foot in this shot b/c I really liked the way it came out!
4471630422_d0fcfa7b6d_o.jpg

4470851319_42bb4fdeb8_o.jpg

4471681628_c309c5ef24_o.jpg

4470855581_e7d5c5de14_o.jpg

I know the usual rule here is to upload 3-5 shots, but It was really hard to pick that amount b/c I had more that I wanted CC on. I hope this doesn't stray ppl away from adding their thoughts and opinions on the shots.

Thanks for looking :)

I'm thinking my 'angled' shots are scaring people away ... :(

*Defense* I was trying something different, I've already been told that this is frowned upon lol

I actually think the angles work in picture 4

I feel like I'm in a drunken stumble when I look at all these pictures... just stick to the basics and expand from there

Ok, then basically speaking, if the shots were 'straight' ... how are the shots?

Why are angles so frowned upon anyways? The last one is tilted a bit too much, I agree with that. The only reason it was shot that way was to get the horse/carriage into the shot with the church. I did have a little rhyme/reason to the way i took that shot. On the other ones, I liked the angle with the way the angle of the horse statue with the angle of the shot and since the building is shot on a daily basis, I didn't want the normal 'touristy' shots like this one below. This is one of my straight on shots.

4471635220_23364b9083_o.jpg

#1 has an interesting subject. Maybe a tighter crop, or get a little "closer to the action" would be an improvement. Even with the angled photos, you did a good job compositionally.

I hope this was OK to do.

I like this crop of your straight shot a little more. I may be wrong but I feel it showcases the building.

4472647585_74b49a0713_o.jpg

Last edited:
Thats definitely OK to do :)

I would have cropped it tight like that, but I liked the American Flag in the shot for some reason (even though it was flying towards me and not the side lol)

My favorite is #5, I like how you lined up all of the points.

Yes, I could see wanting the flag in the pic but I found it distracting in that particular shot.

BTW, I do like the the shots. I feel that 4 works OK on the slant but if you have a straight picture of it, that would be great. The warmth of the building and the silhouette of the horse work wonders together.

Yes, I could see wanting the flag in the pic but I found it distracting in that particular shot.

BTW, I do like the the shots. I feel that 4 works OK on the slant but if you have a straight picture of it, that would be great. The warmth of the building and the silhouette of the horse work wonders together.

I really wish I could have gotten a straight shot of the silhouette, but unfortunately I didn't. I was shooting with 35mm 1.8, so I had no zooming and had to position myself appropriately haha. To get that shot, i would have had to be further away making the objects smaller, so not sure how that would have worked.

1 and 3 are my favorites. I wish on 1 that you had shot the sign from a more straight on perspective to get more of that interesting roof texture in the background, that, and it doesn't really say New Orleans to me....but I still like the shot. I also like the Nola rising sticker, but I think a tighter crop would be better.

I never said the only reason I slanted it was to look appealing lol. I did it because I thought I'd like the shot (majority of them I do, but I think I went crazy on some) and didn't want to go with the "safe" way like most of the shots of this building are taken. To me, photography is all about experimenting, especially when it comes to composition. It shows because I have gotten mixed feelings on the shots from multiple people, not just from here. Its either they love it or hate it. Best part of these shots is that I live 15 minutes away and can do a reshoot again :)

The first thing I noticed was that none of these photo indicated that you were in New Orleans to me. I am not familiar with the area, so while this building may be well known, I would have no clue where it was without your saying so.

I can appreciate the attempts at making the subject more interesting with your compositions.

I think a great exercise for you would be to spend an entire weeks worth of shooting, focusing on filling your frame (viewfinder) with your subject. For example, if your subject was the dude on the horse, you'd at a minimum have him hat to hoof, tail to hoof, in the shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back