new owner of Canon T3i, where to start?

al7601

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I know, I know, I know....here's another newbie looking for help but can anyone help me out with how to get the most out of my camera? I'm completly new to DSLR's and have tried reading the manual but was hoping someone can point me in the right direction on how I can make sense of all these settings.

Just looking for basics here. Most of the time I'll be taking pics of the kids inside and out, taking pics of my fast moving fish in aquariums, sport shots outside.

Is there a must read, that's not terribly boring or videos that can get me started. thanks

Here's a good batch of tutorials for the beginner Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials
there are tons of youTube videos to get you going, but to get the best use of them you have to start with something, so take a look at the tutorials and then look for a video to help you out.
When you have questions just ask! There's always someone around here to help!

There really is no substitute for reading the user's manual cover-to-cover, because it describes the specific features and functions your T3i has. Because the user's manual is dry technical info people usually have to read the manual several times, and even then keep it at hand for easy reference. In short the user's manual is a pretty important document if you really want to know how to use your T3i to it's full potential.

Even more important is understanding what those features and functions do, and how they relate to doing photography, which is what those Digital Photography Tips and Tutorials
MLeeK linked you to are for.

You need to understand the camera focus modes and how depth-of-field (DoF) affects what can and can't be in focus, plus how the camera light meter's metering modes affect what is or isn't properly exposed in the final image

You will also need to undertake a study of visual image composition and photographic lighting.

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...allery/267492-info-those-new-photography.html

Last edited:
al7601 said:
I know, I know, I know....here's another newbie looking for help but can anyone help me out with how to get the most out of my camera? I'm completly new to DSLR's and have tried reading the manual but was hoping someone can point me in the right direction on how I can make sense of all these settings.

Just looking for basics here. Most of the time I'll be taking pics of the kids inside and out, taking pics of my fast moving fish in aquariums, sport shots outside.

Is there a must read, that's not terribly boring or videos that can get me started. thanks

There is a "must read" and it's called the camera manual. Read the manual and have the camera at your side. You will be able to try and experiment as you read. There is no substitute for actual working knowledge of your camera IMO.

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
Scott Kelby Digital Photography Book 1,2,3, and in March 4

All available amazon. These are a good start and will get you off on the right foot.

I have a National Geographic photography field guide from many years ago that I really like. I think they still put out something similar.

It explains what different apertures, shutter speeds, and film (now sensor) sensitivities do. It give top class photos as examples. The only problem is that it doesn't also give bad photos to show the WRONG way to do it!

You'll still need to know how to operate your camera though. ;)

Don't be intimidated. Read the quick start guide first. Then, learn how to manually operate the camera, and you can apply what you've learned in the field guide.

Lastly, read up on The Rule of Thirds.

Great info everyone, thanks for everything! It seems like it will take a considerable amount if time before I truly get it which is something I was trying to avoid.

In addition to readin the manual I purchased an instruction video since I knew very little about photography. The particular video I purchased went over all of the functions of the T3i as well as the basics of photography. Between the video and the manual I now have a grasp of how to use the camera.

Besides all the good advice already given, here’s a snapshot (ugh, bad pun) of what you need to know.

1) Exposure: determined by ISO (sensitivity of the sensor to light), shutter speed, aperture. When starting out, set your ISO to the base ISO (in your case, 100), and leave it there (pg.79 of your manual). You may have to change it later, but that’s another lesson.

2) How to set your exposure? That’s the role of the camera’s meter. But before you can use it, you should set the metering mode. For the time being, set it to Evaluative (see pg. 102 of the manual). Next, where do you find the meter? Look into your viewfinder, and compare it to the picture on pg.21 of your manual. In the middle along the bottom, you’ll find the “exposure Level indicator”. When something is “properly exposed” according to the camera, the needle should be on the zero (it’s actually like an upside down house icon, but it’s in the middle). You activate the meter when you partly depress the shutter button. Oh, one more thing – you also need to set the “mode” by turning the Mode Dial (see pg 18). For the purpose of this exercise, set to Av (which stands for Aperture Value in Canon-speak, pg.96 in the manual). This means YOU tell the camera which aperture you want to use, and it will then set the appropriate shutter speed. So which aperture to use? For now, set it to 5.6 using the dial next to the shutter button. If you point the camera at something in a brightly lit room, the camera will probably select a shutter speed like 1/60 sec. How can you tell? Well, looking into the viewfinder, you will see two numbers to the left of the meter. The leftmost is the shutter speed, and the next one over is the aperture value. You should see 60 5.6. Those stand for 1/60 sec, f/5.6. Click the shutter. Camera takes a picture. It’s properly exposed as far as the camera is concerned.

3) Yes, but is your subject in focus? Your camera has an autofocus function, and a number of sensor points which it uses to determine the focus. But which sensor? And which AF mode? Again, let’s keep it simple for starters. The most sensitive AF point in the camera is the center one. To set it, press the AF point selector button (see pg. 19 of your manual to locate the button on the upper right of the back of the camera body), and follow the directions on pg.85 to set the center AF point. So you’ve told the camera to use ONLY the center point for focusing. Next, go to pg. 83 of the manual, and follow the instructions to set the “One Shot AF for Still Subjects”. This means that when you aim your camera so that the center AF point is on your subject, the camera acquires focus using ONLY THAT POINT (the confirmation light will blink), and it then is ready to shoot. Oh, your lens also has an AF/M button somewhere – make sure it is set to AF. So now, point your camera at your favorite subject in a brightly lit room, depress the shutter halfway, let the camera acquire the focus on the center AF point, press the shutter the rest of the way, and you’ve got another image. It should be “properly” exposed and the subject on which you pointed the center AF point should be in focus.

4) OK. You’re ready to turn pro.

Just kidding. There’s lot’s more to learn. But at this point, use the links you’ve been given and start trying to put things into some sort of mental structure.

Now, if this seems like too much work, then just put the camera into full auto mode (that’s the green rectangle on the mode button on top), and the camera will do all the work. You are guaranteed to have something in focus, and something in the frame will be properly exposed. It may not be YOUR chosen subject, but then with that mode, you’ve given the camera full control, and you get what it gives you. If you don’t like that, then you’ll have to take control, and that’s what all the buttons and options and menus are for.

Besides all the good advice already given, here’s a snapshot (ugh, bad pun) of what you need to know...

*Says snapshot... Writes novel*

Love your posts, Pgriz. Haha.

First, congrats on your purchase....you'll enjoy it! You've gotten some great advice here. I'd like to chip in that I learned a lot from youtube videos. In particular, froknowsphoto (Jared Polin) and "New to Photo" have some excellent videos on youtube that go over the basics and Jared produces quite a lot of other photography videos including critiques, q+a, etc Anorama photo (sp?) also produces a lot of videos. I also found videos that went over the controls on my specific camera (Nikon D3100) And of course take pictures! Good luck, enjoy!!!

Besides all the good advice already given, here’s a snapshot (ugh, bad pun) of what you need to know.1) Exposure: determined by ISO (sensitivity of the sensor to light), shutter speed, aperture. When starting out, set your ISO to the base ISO (in your case, 100), and leave it there (pg.79 of your manual). You may have to change it later, but that’s another lesson.2) How to set your exposure? That’s the role of the camera’s meter. But before you can use it, you should set the metering mode. For the time being, set it to Evaluative (see pg. 102 of the manual). Next, where do you find the meter? Look into your viewfinder, and compare it to the picture on pg.21 of your manual. In the middle along the bottom, you’ll find the “exposure Level indicator”. When something is “properly exposed” according to the camera, the needle should be on the zero (it’s actually like an upside down house icon, but it’s in the middle). You activate the meter when you partly depress the shutter button. Oh, one more thing – you also need to set the “mode” by turning the Mode Dial (see pg 18). For the purpose of this exercise, set to Av (which stands for Aperture Value in Canon-speak, pg.96 in the manual). This means YOU tell the camera which aperture you want to use, and it will then set the appropriate shutter speed. So which aperture to use? For now, set it to 5.6 using the dial next to the shutter button. If you point the camera at something in a brightly lit room, the camera will probably select a shutter speed like 1/60 sec. How can you tell? Well, looking into the viewfinder, you will see two numbers to the left of the meter. The leftmost is the shutter speed, and the next one over is the aperture value. You should see 60 5.6. Those stand for 1/60 sec, f/5.6. Click the shutter. Camera takes a picture. It’s properly exposed as far as the camera is concerned.3) Yes, but is your subject in focus? Your camera has an autofocus function, and a number of sensor points which it uses to determine the focus. But which sensor? And which AF mode? Again, let’s keep it simple for starters. The most sensitive AF point in the camera is the center one. To set it, press the AF point selector button (see pg. 19 of your manual to locate the button on the upper right of the back of the camera body), and follow the directions on pg.85 to set the center AF point. So you’ve told the camera to use ONLY the center point for focusing. Next, go to pg. 83 of the manual, and follow the instructions to set the “One Shot AF for Still Subjects”. This means that when you aim your camera so that the center AF point is on your subject, the camera acquires focus using ONLY THAT POINT (the confirmation light will blink), and it then is ready to shoot. Oh, your lens also has an AF/M button somewhere – make sure it is set to AF. So now, point your camera at your favorite subject in a brightly lit room, depress the shutter halfway, let the camera acquire the focus on the center AF point, press the shutter the rest of the way, and you’ve got another image. It should be “properly” exposed and the subject on which you pointed the center AF point should be in focus.4) OK. You’re ready to turn pro. Just wanted to thank you! Your advice has already gotten me leaps and bounds from where I was! I have found a new love for my camera. Just kidding. There’s lot’s more to learn. But at this point, use the links you’ve been given and start trying to put things into some sort of mental structure.Now, if this seems like too much work, then just put the camera into full auto mode (that’s the green rectangle on the mode button on top), and the camera will do all the work. You are guaranteed to have something in focus, and something in the frame will be properly exposed. It may not be YOUR chosen subject, but then with that mode, you’ve given the camera full control, and you get what it gives you. If you don’t like that, then you’ll have to take control, and that’s what all the buttons and options and menus are for.
Just wanted to thank you! Your advice has already gotten me leaps and bounds from where I was! I have found a new love for my camera.

@al7601: You're welcome. The basic technical things involve exposure and focus point. Once you're got these more or less reliablly working, you can then start venturing into selecting the right amount of depth-of-field (via aperture) to bring attention of the viewer either only to the subject, or on the overall image. Then there will be the use of the shutter speed to freeze/blur and convey the sense of motion. Then... you may want to venture into darker corners which require use of additional light such as flash. Ideally, you'll learn enough about the technical stuff to be able to put it aside, and spend your energies on composition, capturing the moment, and illuminating the character of your subjects. The nice thing is, if you're stuck on something, come back, post some pictures, tell us what is apparently holding you back and you'll get the usual hodge-podge of advice, some helpful, some not so much. But that's the internet for you. Anyways, I'm glad you're enjoying making images. Do post!!

Most reactions

Back